Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor Mount replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2009, 07:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Motor Mount replacement

Can someone tell me how many motor mounts are in the '02 PT. I thought two but then my mechanic pointed out a 3rd on the side.

Also while I'm having the motor mounts replaced I'm also going to have him change the timing belt and water pump (I have 90K miles) hoping he will cut me some sort of deal since the engine will be jacked up anyways.

Any other suggestions on some routine maintence I should do at about 90K miles while the engine is jacked up?

Thanks
Old 24 Sep 2009, 11:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Mount replacement

I only knew of the two, both on the passenger side, one lower, one upper, with a procedure to balance them after replacement. But there has got to be one on the driver side as well right? (maybe its really a tranny mount?)

Timing belt tensioner comes to mind, as does thermostat, and since he's taking out the AC lines and discharging the system, should do an AC accumulator too. Don't know if those are like on GM's, where they are a wear item. Should check the suspension. Very well known bushing failure on most.

Last edited by bobdole369; 24 Sep 2009 at 11:40 am.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There are 3 motor mounts. One up top, one down below and one in the middle of the front the motor. The top and bottom have to be removed to replace the belt and pump. The middle mount rarely causes any problems and is a B.... to replace even with the front taken off..... It misses coming out by about 3/4 inch!!!!
Old 18 May 2011, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: Motor Mount replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
There are 3 motor mounts. One up top, one down below and one in the middle of the front the motor. The top and bottom have to be removed to replace the belt and pump. The middle mount rarely causes any problems and is a B.... to replace even with the front taken off..... It misses coming out by about 3/4 inch!!!!
Im trying to figure out how to get that b. out? the middle mount. May I ask if and how you removed the mid mount? I need help. someone just gave me a rundown on how to remove it. omg. take off all mounts exhaust pipe, move the motor up one side down the other. Im a chic .. how the heck lol... Am I gonna have to pay someone to fix that last stupid mount for me...?
Old 18 May 2011, 04:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leannaluv View Post
Im trying to figure out how to get that b. out? the middle mount. May I ask if and how you removed the mid mount? I need help. someone just gave me a rundown on how to remove it. omg. take off all mounts exhaust pipe, move the motor up one side down the other. Im a chic .. how the heck lol... Am I gonna have to pay someone to fix that last stupid mount for me...?
Why are you so hellbent on replacing that mid mount when it rarely fails?
Old 18 May 2011, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Read her OP, she says it failed when working on the others or something along those lines. Lenna, you have to get a lift under your motor and tranny, then slowly lift the motor up just far enough to clear the mount. Basically all mounts disconnected with the motor/tranny supported, then raise the motor about 2" and you have it. It's definitely a full-on b**** to do!!!
Old 18 May 2011, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the confusion guys. Im tryin. I try and do a better job explaining.
I bought the car used, right off the bat sht started falling apart. I know I got ripped and will sue his ... after I get all this fixed. anyway.;
The timing belt went first... they repaired it.. just found out you have to take off the mounts in order to do this. right? what this tells me is that the jackoff probably put the worn out busted mounts right back on my car, because I kept complaining about the rough idle and it jerking out of the blue when driving. At the time I didnt know much about my car. Ive since realized that my mounts are trashed. I replaced the dogbone thinking I was good to go. not so, I then realized that the upper mount was trashed, you can move it back and forth. right after I put a new dog bone on I drove across town not too far and I thought my engine was gonna fall out. Stopped at autozone got the lowdown, sort of.
Heres what has happened I think. With the upper and dog bone completely detached, breaking at the same time pretty much, all the weight from the engine was put on the middle engine mount which caused the main bolt. the star center bolt to snap off about 3/4 back. thats where Im at. I bought midd and upper mounts trying to figure out how to remove the midd one.

But then I started thinking that maybe just maybe the mid mount was actually ok, the bolt just snapped from the excess weight put on it when the other two mounts gave way. Maybe I just need to drill out the broken bolt and replace it. replace the upper and Im good to go. what do you think.
Old 18 May 2011, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can you even get to that bolt to drill it out???
Old 18 May 2011, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: Motor Mount replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Read her OP, she says it failed when working on the others or something along those lines. Lenna, you have to get a lift under your motor and tranny, then slowly lift the motor up just far enough to clear the mount. Basically all mounts disconnected with the motor/tranny supported, then raise the motor about 2" and you have it. It's definitely a full-on b**** to do!!!
In response to how to go about it.. Im going to have to take off all the mounts then support the engine I need to lift the engine up high enough so the mount will have the space to come out.

Just to be clear....... I have to remove all the mounts before I can lift my engine enough to clear the mid mount to replace... ( if needed) is that right? really?

Last edited by Leannaluv; 18 May 2011 at 05:27 pm.
Old 18 May 2011, 05:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Motor Mount replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
Why are you so hellbent on replacing that mid mount when it rarely fails?
Oh Im so not trust that. I just dont know what the hell Im doing. Seriously,
I just started thinking that maybe I just broke the bolt off and the mount itself is fine? what do you think my chances are on that being the case?