Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air- control knob problem, confusing!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2009, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air- control knob problem, confusing!

I have been looking all over this site for information about this problem but I haven't found a solution.

Firstly, I have a 2004 Limited.

In the center instrument panel where the a/c heater, multi-air control, and heat control buttons are is where the problem is. The issue is the air control button acts like a spring is broken. If I turn it to defrost, the button will snap back like a spring.

The defrost, air conditioning, heater works, I cannot set the button to defrost, so I need some ideas. :/ Would I need to replace the knob and take apart the console? Or just replace the knob? Or is it some other internal problem?

Thanks,

R.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air- control knob problem, confusing!

Forget about the knob, that's not your problem. It could be either (first picture ) one of the wires from the knob to the HVAC are broken/bent/kinked. You can check this out by taking the cover off the center console to have access to the wires.

Or, the door to the DEFROST duct is jammed or broken. This will require a lot of work inside the dash.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Sep 2009 at 01:19 pm.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Has your center console cover been off recently? The reason I ask is that I had this same exact problem after working behind the console. Took it back off and found that one of the two cables behind the switches got laid down behind the other control, so the control could only go so far over and then would spring back on me. Was very weird but took all of 5 minutes to find and fix, just straightened out the cables and put the cover back and it worked fine.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm not sure if the console has been looked at, I bought my PT used. Whoever owned it did a bad job of keeping it in good shape. But thank you! I'll need to work on the console tomorrow and see if I can get it working!

R.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Edit that - my '06 center panel bezel comes out way easier than yours does, so I've attached the page from the service manual showing how to pull it out... hope it helps!!!

Last edited by Chromenut; 24 Sep 2009 at 08:47 pm.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The problem is fixed! Took apart the instrument panel and found out there was a 45 degree kink in the wire. We just straightened out the wire and everything now works fine! I'm not sure how the wire could be so bent, so I am wondering what the chance is for it to possibly happen again. Or would changing the wire be a major hassle?

But I want to thank all of you for your help.

R
Old 26 Sep 2009, 12:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not sure what you have to do to replace the wire. I'm sure it would not be easy. I'm also sure that once it kinked, it will probably do it again in the future.

One: if you could find some sort of cover like the rest of the wire has on it, it might stop it from doing it again.

Two: If it was that easy to fix, you might just leave it alone and take it real easy the times you have to move the control.

Three: See if you can move the covering that's on the rest of the wire forward to cover where the kink is to give it more strength.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 09:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Try putting "wire loom" on it and wrap it in tape. Wire loom is split plastic tubing that comes in various sizes and colors and is split so you can insert wire in it. It should prevent it from kinking. The tape ought to keep the cable from working its way out the split...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles