PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Kinda Pissed.. any advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2009, 10:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY
Default Kinda Pissed.. any advice?

I took my 2002 Touring to a shop today in hopes to solve my "clunking" and "grinding" noises in the front end. They replaced the control arm bushings at a cost of $400 (not too bad). And it did indeed fix that god awful grinding noise which is nice, but didnt do anything for the clunking.

After doing some research I have come up with the following list of possible culprits:
  • CV Joints
  • Ball Joints
  • Stabilizer bar not tight?
  • Tie Rod End
  • Worn Struts
  • Sway Bar Bushings

To me, Tie rod ends and sway bar bushings seem like the most realistic causes. The sound only comes when the car is moving. Will not happen when idle. The sound occurs on turns either way (it only happens if I make a right turn, then left, then right etc.) The sound can be described as low frequency and solid. The intensity varies depending on how hard of a turn I take.

Any advice?

Thanks!

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Kinda Pissed.. any advice?

Who are you pissed at? The shop, yourself or the PT? I realize everyone is afraid of the dealer, but I'm sure if you would have taken it there they would have given you the diagnosis and a quote to fix it. I know that they would like to do the job for you, but you can always drive it out to a "shop" for a quote. There isn't anything binding that you have to leave it there.

Good luck on the partial fix with the control arm bushings.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Last edited by Hooligan; 30 Sep 2009 at 03:35 pm.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 01:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

I originally did take it to the dealer, they also said it was being caused by the bushings and wanted $900 to replace the control arms and bushings. Thats more than I have to spend, being a poor lil' college student, so I then took it to a shop who would do the work for half the price.

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 09:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Does the clunk happen when you gas or brake only? Or when the suspension travels, like over a speedbump?

(upon accel or decel sounds like motor mount. Very easy fix) (suspension travel sounds like a busted strut or spring set. Not so easy)

Strike all that - I just read the rest of your post.

Quote:
The sound occurs on turns either way (it only happens if I make a right turn, then left, then right etc.)
Wheel bearings - parts are cheap, but you need to find someone with a press to get em out and the new ones in. Sound is a low growling warble increasing in frequency as you accelerate.

CV joints. You'll do the whole axle. $400 ish. Thats more of a rapid clicking though.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 08:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

With out hearing it kinda hard to tell but I would be suspicious of the sway bar bushings and or end links. Does it do it when you go over uneven terrain like going over a speed bump on one side?
Old 01 Oct 2009, 09:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yes it does do it on speed bumps. It doesnt occur when I am accelerating from a stop or stopping, so I dont think it is the motor mount. Only happens when going over uneven terrain and on turns.

I havent had a chance to look at the sway bar. Is it hard to get at? Im thinking a good idea is to take it off and see how the car drives. If there is no clunking then its the bushings. So is the sway bar hard to take off?

My Love:
Old 02 Oct 2009, 08:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Not that hard just hard to get under the car to do it. The end links are a little difficult due to the big top nut but not that hard. I would not recommend driving the car with out the sway bar. It can lead to some really funky behavior.
Old 03 Oct 2009, 10:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If the front sway bar isn't broken (look closely around the clamps) my bet would be the strut(s).
Old 04 Oct 2009, 12:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
It can lead to some really funky behavior.
Funky behavior as in what? Just a lot of body lean? I wouldnt drive far, just around the neighborhood to see if the clunking is still there. Cant do damage can it?

My Love: