Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stumbling/surging cure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2009, 11:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Stumbling/surging cure?

I purchased a 2002 PT w/5 sp manual this past May. With 85,000 kms (about 48,000 miles), I figured it was a solid buy for the price. A trip to a garage, a lift on the hoist, and I knew what the car needed mechanically before I even made an offer. I lowered, he countered, I stuck to my guns, and he ceded to my price. I drove it home, very happy with the price.
With new CV joints, tie rod ends, Bell Link in the rear, rotors and pads, I then turned to solving a stumbling/surging from the engine at steady-throttle low speeds (ie. on town streets), way more noticeable cold than warm. Idle was shaky, but mostly from a disintegrating engine mount.
The stumbling/surging problem was not cured by new Bosch platinum/yttrium plugs and Bosch wires, which I bought to replace the originals. The stumbling/surging continued, and as the weather cooled here (in Northeastern Canada), the PT was impossible to drive smoothly when cold in the morning. Impossible.
I noticed an earlier post on this website that mentioned TSB 18-020-04 and how it helped that member's stumbling/surging problem. I had my local Chrysler dealer reflash the PCM with this TSB, and let me tell you, what a difference it has made! It has completely transformed the character of the car. The reflash was done 2 wks ago, and the car drives smoothly when cold, and idle is smoother too. The best $39.95 I have spent on the car so far! Power appears to be a little stronger at lower speeds, and the engine seems to rev a little happier now too.
Mleage has increased from 31 mpg (Imperial) to 34 on a recent 2,600 km trip (about 1,600 miles).
If stumbling/surging is your problem, and plugs/wires were not the solution, you should consider TSB 18-020-04.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stumbling/surging cure?

Thanks for your input. Refreshing to read a post that doesn't need answers.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Amen to that. Nice that he posted back on how the cure went. Much better than members who ask ???'s, then try what they think is wrong, forgetting what was suggested and when that doesn't work they come back. Go Figure!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 30 Sep 2009, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I LOVE happy endings.
AND I learned another cure...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Sep 2009, 11:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

For those in the know, would the TSB apply to a 2004 five speed? Perspiring minds want to know.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 04:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Matt42,
As far as I know, it applies to all PT's, regardless of year or transmission, since it is a reflash of the PCM, which I believe is common to all years.
I may stand to be corrected on that statement of course.
Check with your local Chrysler techs - they will tell you if the TSB applies to your vehicle - my Chrysler garage asked for my VIN first, checked if the TSB had ever been done, and if it applied.
I am very happy with the results.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 09:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGW View Post
I purchased a 2002 PT w/5 sp manual this past May. With 85,000 kms (about 48,000 miles), I figured it was a solid buy for the price. A trip to a garage, a lift on the hoist, and I knew what the car needed mechanically before I even made an offer. I lowered, he countered, I stuck to my guns, and he ceded to my price. I drove it home, very happy with the price.
With new CV joints, tie rod ends, Bell Link in the rear, rotors and pads, I then turned to solving a stumbling/surging from the engine at steady-throttle low speeds (ie. on town streets), way more noticeable cold than warm. Idle was shaky, but mostly from a disintegrating engine mount.
The stumbling/surging problem was not cured by new Bosch platinum/yttrium plugs and Bosch wires, which I bought to replace the originals. The stumbling/surging continued, and as the weather cooled here (in Northeastern Canada), the PT was impossible to drive smoothly when cold in the morning. Impossible.
I noticed an earlier post on this website that mentioned TSB 18-020-04 and how it helped that member's stumbling/surging problem. I had my local Chrysler dealer reflash the PCM with this TSB, and let me tell you, what a difference it has made! It has completely transformed the character of the car. The reflash was done 2 wks ago, and the car drives smoothly when cold, and idle is smoother too. The best $39.95 I have spent on the car so far! Power appears to be a little stronger at lower speeds, and the engine seems to rev a little happier now too.
Mleage has increased from 31 mpg (Imperial) to 34 on a recent 2,600 km trip (about 1,600 miles).
If stumbling/surging is your problem, and plugs/wires were not the solution, you should consider TSB 18-020-04.
I am going to see if I can also get my dealer to reflash PCM. I also have this problem, along with miss at idle