Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replaced engine, strange problem...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2009, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replaced engine, strange problem...

I am working on a 2002 PT Cruiser that belongs to one of my co-workers. His daughter (bless her heart) seized the engine, so I put a used running engine in it from a crashed PT of the same year. The engine was running well in the wreck, and has 200 psi on a compression check across all cylinders. I changed the timing belt before I installed the engine.

After getting everything set and installed, the engine would not start. I got a code for a crankshaft position sensor, so I checked the wire, checked the sensor connector, and finally changed the sensor with the one that was on the old engine. No change. Since the new/used engine came with a wiring harness, I changed the harnesses, and that made no difference.

I have changed around the relays, double and triple checked fuses and circuit breakers, etc. with no changes.

I took it to a mechanic friend who put it on his big computer thing, and after fiddling with it for a while, got it to start with the cam position sensor disconnected. It will run in Limp Mode with the sensor completely disconnected, and it throws a code for the CMP sensor. If I plug it back in, the engine will NOT start.

My thoughts at this point are that I have the cam timing screwed up from changing the belt. While I don't think that I could have done that, it is the only thing left. (You know, the theory of 'last touched.' Whatever you touched last is what did it. That is the opposite of of the theory of 'simultaneous failure,' when several parts supposedly fail at the same time...which does not happen. What I am looking for here is a dose of the theory of 'mechanical self-healing,' where parts magically heal themselves. I know, that doesn't work either...)

So I am going after the timing belt now, which due to its complexity, I have been avoiding. The problem is that in "limp mode" with no camshaft position sensor, the engine seems to run well with a little bit of shaky idle. If the cams were that far out of time, I would think that the engine wouldn't run well at all.

So, if you folks have any ideas, I am listening. In the meantime, I am going out to check the cam timing.

Thanks in advance.

Can you point me in a direction? Any direction?
Old 03 Oct 2009, 08:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Replaced engine, strange problem...

Have you tried replacing the cam sensor? Only other thing I can think of is if you maybe pinched a wire somewhere. If you can get it to start and run with the cam sensor unplugged then that makes me think maybe the cam sensor is bad.... The engine will start with out the cam sensor. It relies on the crankshaft signal to run. That tells me that your crank sensor is ok. Also tells me that most likely the wiring is ok. Also the cam and crank sensors share the same power and ground so a problem that effects one can effect the other.....
If your cams where off more than a tooth it would either not run or run EXTREMELY crappy. You would know there is a problem. A tooth off will make it run noticably rough.
Just for giggles replace the cam sensor. Try the one on the orginal engine and then the one on the replacement. Cam sensors are a known problem. Also there is a flash available for a problem with the cam and crank signal dropping out....
Try that and let me know what happens.
Old 03 Oct 2009, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have swapped around the cam sensors...no difference.

UPDATE...the cam timing is off by a tooth. I will attack it again early tomorrow and put it right, then see what happens.

The timing belt is HORRIBLE to get to...halfway there, though.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll stick to my Porsche 944's...easier to work on.

k

Last edited by kevinduffy; 03 Oct 2009 at 09:31 pm. Reason: Additional info
Old 03 Oct 2009, 11:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinduffy View Post
I'll stick to my Porsche 944's...easier to work on.
Better be - don't you have to do timing belt every 50,000 on them?
And all 20+ year-old cars are easier to work on - and usually you have to work on them more frequently...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Oct 2009, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The 944 belt is not easy, but at least you can get to it without a torch...or unbolting the engine.