Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing Headlight Bulbs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2009, 03:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Replacing Headlight Bulbs

Hey i wasnt able to find any tutorial on here on how to do this, and i cant find any good ones on google(with pictures atleast) So i went a head a did it myself and took some pics along the way to help. This is on a 2006 Pt Cruiser so im pretty sure 06 and up are the same im not sure bout the 01-05's.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
1. New bulbs. MUST BE STREIGHT!! 90 DEGREE BULBS WILL NOT WORK!!! (trust me i had to go back and exchange them)9006 is the bulb number as you can see from the image below

2. Flat head screw driver (large)

3. Lug Nut remover (this is if you remove your tire. it makes life much easier)

4. Electrical Grease. (optional)

each light took me about 15 min. most of that time was taking the wheel off and then remounting it. BUT its worth the time.

Step 1: Look inside your front driver and passenger wheel wells. you should see a panel like this

Step 2: Remove Tire. you can attempt to turn your wheel to get to it. but trust me its a whole lot easier if you just remove the wheel.

Step 3: Take screw driver and remove clips on door

These are the clips to remove

fallow how to move your screw driver. you wanna push in then out and then in again to get behind the clip so you can pull the door out. start with the bottom one first. the top one will come off easier.i wont lie, they can be difficult to get off.

Step 4: remove clips and headlight.

There is a small blue clip on the back of the light that needs to be removed first. simply unclip it from both sides of the blub.

This is what it looks like when there is nothing in.

simply turn counter clockwise on the bulb to remove it. then unclicp the bulb by pulling back on the 2 grey clips holding it in.

Step 5: insert New bulb. (its easier if u put the bulb into the hole first. then plug it back in) then put the clips back on. make sure your light turns on. then re-assemble the panel and put your tire back on.

Its not that difficult to do after you start to toy around with it. This is the exact same way you remove your turn signal and high beams. if you have any questions please feel free to post them ill answer them the best i can.

Enkei WDM Rims, Falken Ze-19 Tires, Flowmaster Super 44, K&N Cold Air Intake, AirRaid Throttle Body, XEON Head Lights, Crunch 1100Watt Sub Amp Running Two 12' 1200watt Square Hifonics Brutus Subwoofers, 900Watt Crunch Highs Amp Running 12 Power Acustik Speakers. Pioneer head unit
Old 03 Oct 2009, 07:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Replacing Headlight Bulbs

Thanks for shining the light for us 06 and up Cruisers! Much appreciated!!
Old 03 Oct 2009, 07:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Headlight Bulbs

HA! Had to run out and see if my 07 has that access panel (never noticed it before) Easy access. Thanks for the write up.

Old 03 Oct 2009, 08:16 pm
Young Cruiser

thanks guys.

yah i never noticed it before either. i thought i would have to take the whole light assembly off.

im very impressed with the lights that i bought. VERY bright.

Finally got dark enough to see what they look like at night.

Enkei WDM Rims, Falken Ze-19 Tires, Flowmaster Super 44, K&N Cold Air Intake, AirRaid Throttle Body, XEON Head Lights, Crunch 1100Watt Sub Amp Running Two 12' 1200watt Square Hifonics Brutus Subwoofers, 900Watt Crunch Highs Amp Running 12 Power Acustik Speakers. Pioneer head unit
Old 06 Oct 2009, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just did my '03 headlight bulbs. I passed on the "silverstar" bulbs & just got the standard replacement bulb. I have heard the silverstar bulbs don't last as long as the standard ones. Another tip, don't touch the glass part of the bulb as the oils from your skin make a hot spot on the bulb & it will burn out imediatly.
Old 06 Oct 2009, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've had the Silverstars on the low beam and the fog lights for about 2 years now, no burnouts as of yet. Probably a good idea to keep the oily fingers off a lot of different bulbs but especially halogens.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Oct 2009, 07:12 pm
Young Cruiser

yah i forgot to put that in the tut. yah my friends have been running the same brand in his 98 civic for like 4 years and no issues.

Old 03 Nov 2009, 07:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Instead of removing the wheels; park the front wheels on old newspapers. Then you can easily turn the front wheels using the steering wheel to give you access to the panels. Just turn one wheel inwards at the front & after the bulb is changed then turn the other wheel inwards.
Old 03 Nov 2009, 08:59 pm
Young Cruiser

yah you can do that to, just depends how much room you need to work, peronsally i hate being stuck in tight places with things so i took th wheel off.

Old 03 Nov 2009, 10:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Replacing Headlight Bulbs

WHAT!!!???
No pictures of your scuffed knuckles???

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!