Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New to Me 01 PT Limited Non Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2009, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New to Me 01 PT Limited Non Turbo

Hi everyone, I just bought a new to me 01 PT Limited non turbo, with 107K motor is in good shape Front end is toast, bushings, left bearing, right outer tie rod, strut assembly, right rear shock is leaking oil and needs new rear brakes, tires all around and darn it the fog lights don't work the multi switch.

I have already replaced the bushings, tie rod, rear brakes, rear shocks new tires, oil changed, K&N drop in filter, lower motor mount and then ran out of money.

Hopefully I can get the left front bearing, both strut assemblies and timing belt changed soon. I really like this car the price was the only reason I bought it in the first place not to mention the motor was in VERY good shape despite these other issues, interior is pristine

I have added new alteza smoked tail lights those are really like that Xenon spoiler. I do have my work cut out for me, looks like somebody scratch the crap out of the paint it has touch up paint lines everywhere especially on the rear hatch.

Anyway I have a new toy or money pit to play with during the winter season so here's to everyone
Old 06 Oct 2009, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New to Me 01 PT Limited Non Turbo

Welcome to the forum. As long as you knew what you were getting your self into and can talk about it with a smile good luck with project. Tell us something about what your username is al about?
Old 06 Oct 2009, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
You seem to be on the right track.
Manual or auto? If Auto, plan on a fluid flush (find a place with a flushing machine and be sure they use ATF +_4) - should run close to $200.
Sorry to add to your list...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Oct 2009, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the world on PT Cruisers I bought my 2001 LE back in July. I found lots of good information here, and lots of people with the right answers to help me. So if you don't know something or see it already posted just ask. Everyone here is always very helpful. HAPPY CRUSIN.....
Old 07 Oct 2009, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone, I have an appointment tomorrow to get the remainder of the front end stuff done Wife must of been in a good mood she read the list of stuff I needed to have fixed, then disappeared for 5 minutes can came back with a small wad. that covers it.

She wanted to drive it yesterday for some strange reason only to come home with a new exhaust on it, which I must admit sounds pretty good.
When I asked why she said it was to quiet, and she liked the way our son's car sounded and wanted to same thing, apparently the two of them collaborated.

I'm thinking after getting the body work on this thing sorted out the Xenon spoiler and a bra since its going to see a WHOLE lot of highway use.

Are there any major concerns as to putting a car that has 100K already on the highway for long distance trips on a infrequent basis and as a daily driver?

Thanks everyone!
Old 07 Oct 2009, 02:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine that I bought back in July has 97000 miles on it 2001 LE. I've taken many a road trip with it and never had a problem with it yet. The timing belt and water pump had been replaced in it just before I bought it, which I was glad for that. Thats usually has to be done between 80 and 100000 miles. Mine was owned by an older gentleman who took good care of it. People don't believe me when I tell them it's a 01. Just like anything else if you take care of properly it should last. Again best of luck...Happy crusin...
Old 07 Oct 2009, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by h100250 View Post

Are there any major concerns as to putting a car that has 100K already on the highway for long distance trips on a infrequent basis and as a daily driver?

Thanks everyone!
Not with what you're doing.
My experience - use synthetic oil.
I had a '93 Dodge Spirit - 4 cyl - went 195,000 miles - at about 150,000 miles, a valve guide worked loose and I had the timing belt done. The transmission wouldn't go out of 1st gear at 195,000 - I never had the transmission touched (I don't advise that) but engine was still strong.
No wheel bearings done, replaced rear shocks only, but oil changed every 5,000 miles w/Mobil 1.
If you do what you have planned, you should get a lot of life out of it.

I spotted this on another PT forum about gas octane:
"Just wanted to add, my '02 NA has run nothing but 87 octane. At 156,000 miles it still runs great. Ditto my wife's '02 with over 95,000 miles."

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 07 Oct 2009 at 05:35 pm. Reason: added facts
Old 07 Oct 2009, 07:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post

I spotted this on another PT forum about gas octane:
"Just wanted to add, my '02 NA has run nothing but 87 octane. At 156,000 miles it still runs great. Ditto my wife's '02 with over 95,000 miles."
Why does DM recommend premium fuel anyways??? Wife's '05 Turbo runs the same on amy grade............

Old 07 Oct 2009, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Which turbo? The GT is the one that needs premium, the 180 Hp turbo like I have does fine on regular.
Old 07 Oct 2009, 10:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Which turbo? The GT is the one that needs premium, the 180 Hp turbo like I have does fine on regular.

GT.........