PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Battery Cables and terminals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2009, 07:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Battery Cables and terminals

Hey folks, 2 questions concerning replacement of my 2002 Non Turbo, bonestock, PT's Battery Cables:

1. Does anyone know the length of the Positive and Negetive cables I need to buy???? Adavnce has a few different lenghts that "fit" the car on their site.

2. Most important: Does anyone know where I can buy terminals that are Top Post but Angled at 90 degrees to allow the cables to drop straight down parallell with the battery side

Thanks everyone
Old 07 Oct 2009, 09:55 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Cables and terminals

Battery cables really don't wear out. Can't you clean them up?

But for exact fit - go to the stealership parts counter.........

Old 08 Oct 2009, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Take a string, hold it next to each cable, mark it, then measure it.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Oct 2009, 05:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmegt View Post
Battery cables really don't wear out. Can't you clean them up?

But for exact fit - go to the stealership parts counter.........

Don't know about "wearing" out, but they DO go bad! On a 2003 we used to have, the pressed-on lug that attached to the starter went bad. Car wouldn't turn over sometimes, then would magically start. I tried cleaning the terminals and ground lugs. The problem got worse over time, until I replaced the battery cable assembly, that's when I noticed the problem on the end of the starter cable.

Chrysler sells the cable assembly as a unit, about $70 bucks if I remember correctly. It took about 20 minutes to do, unbolt the old one and put the new one in.

srg
Old 12 Oct 2009, 02:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My wife's PT, which I'll refer to as 'Hi Silver' from now on,
had the plus battery clamp half eaten away by the green gray corrosion.
aaaa.
This traveled an inch and a half down each red cable so what should have been a solid high amp connection was actually an intermittent dust clod.
I carry with me battery lug crimps and tool so I got out of a jam with a post converter clamp. (still working two years later)
My lesson on this with my PT, called 'Whitey', is that the slight investment in those round green and red anticorrosion pads for the bat posts absolutely prevent a lot of that.
That little battery is in a confined and very hot spot. Since my filter box is cut away I no longer cover mine and keep it clean.
I'm also big on spare parts, and battery is high on that list.
Old 05 Nov 2009, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Don't know about "wearing" out, but they DO go bad! On a 2003 we used to have, the pressed-on lug that attached to the starter went bad. Car wouldn't turn over sometimes, then would magically start. I tried cleaning the terminals and ground lugs. The problem got worse over time, until I replaced the battery cable assembly, that's when I noticed the problem on the end of the starter cable.

Chrysler sells the cable assembly as a unit, about $70 bucks if I remember correctly. It took about 20 minutes to do, unbolt the old one and put the new one in.

srg
My new-to-me 2001 PT (2.4L non-turbo) died in the company parking lot today. It appears that the positive battery cable terminal broke, right where it makes the 90-degree bend.

Is the cable installation something that can be done easily in the parking lot? I won't be able to jack up the car at all, so I'll be limited to what I can reach while lying on the ground.

And while I'm asking "basic" questions... what is involved in removing the air filter cover/etc to get access to the top of the battery? Looking at the shop manual (downloaded from a link on this site -- THANK YOU!) it seems simple, but sometimes what seems simple reading the manual isn't so simple in practice.

Thanks in advance for your help. This site is an amazing source of info.

-Tom H
2001 PT Cruiser
2.4L non-turbo
Old 06 Nov 2009, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You should have 2 "clips" that hold the cover down. one in the left side and one in front. Just push in the middle and with your thumb flick them off. They are fastened at the bottom so you don't have to worry about dropping them.

Never had to replace the cable, so I can't help you.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Nov 2009, 01:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
My wife's PT, which I'll refer to as 'Hi Silver' from now on,
had the plus battery clamp half eaten away by the green gray corrosion.
aaaa.
This traveled an inch and a half down each red cable so what should have been a solid high amp connection was actually an intermittent dust clod.
Exactly. The corrosion works its way up the cable inside the insulation. And this includes the negative cable. And although most ground straps don't have acid corrosion issues, there can be some rust where they mount to the block and/or frame. If you're replacing one, replace 'em all.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 07 Nov 2009, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thender View Post
My new-to-me 2001 PT (2.4L non-turbo) died in the company parking lot today. It appears that the positive battery cable terminal broke, right where it makes the 90-degree bend.

Is the cable installation something that can be done easily in the parking lot? I won't be able to jack up the car at all, so I'll be limited to what I can reach while lying on the ground.

And while I'm asking "basic" questions... what is involved in removing the air filter cover/etc to get access to the top of the battery? Looking at the shop manual (downloaded from a link on this site -- THANK YOU!) it seems simple, but sometimes what seems simple reading the manual isn't so simple in practice.

Thanks in advance for your help. This site is an amazing source of info.

-Tom H
2001 PT Cruiser
2.4L non-turbo
FWIW I ended up just having the dealer install the cables. I was able to cobble it up enough to get it started, then just had them do the work.

$182 total; ouch. $80 for the part, and an hour of labor at $98/hr. Well, at least it is done. This includes positive and negative cables.

Moral to the story -- keep an eagle eye out for battery corrosion; it can bring your day to a very rapid stop!

-TH