PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Fog Light Wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2009, 03:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fog Light Wiring

I'm wanting to bypass the multi function switch and use a seperate one, are there any major issues to this course of action. Since there are over 5000 switches on national back order there is no way soon I'm going to be getting a new multi switch Anway if anyone could help me out with wiring or at least direct me to a source I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited by h100250; 08 Oct 2009 at 03:27 pm.
Old 08 Oct 2009, 03:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Fog Light Wiring

A search for fog lights here shows several thread detailing how others did it........

Old 09 Oct 2009, 08:23 am
Young Cruiser

I'll be buried in my 07 this weekend installing the MOPAR kit I just got. A separate switch is one idea I'm thinking of doing, unless I can get the dealer to charge a minimal fee to "tell my Coqui it now has fog lights."

Otherwise it'll be a separate switch with a relay. If I go the
separate switch route I'll post here my ''how did.''

Old 09 Oct 2009, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Cruiser View Post
I'll be buried in my 07 this weekend installing the MOPAR kit I just got. A separate switch is one idea I'm thinking of doing, unless I can get the dealer to charge a minimal fee to "tell my Coqui it now has fog lights."

Otherwise it'll be a separate switch with a relay. If I go the
separate switch route I'll post here my ''how did.''
Well I just had mine done at a place called Stereo Advantage here in Indianapolis they only charged me $60.00. They cut the wires to the stalk and installed a switch between the rear window wiper and the traction control and to top it off they made the indicator light the same color as the car If I turn the key off the lights go off so in case I forget and leave them on they won't drain the battery and they come on without the head or amber lights. I'm happy.

The last wiring job I did did not go to well so I did not have the nerve to do it myself this time!

Everything is working now, next thing on the list is the timing belt, coolant flush and pressure check, new plugs and wires.

Yeah I'm putting a small fortune into this thing but when its all the wheels you got and use on a daily basis they need to work.

Last edited by h100250; 09 Oct 2009 at 03:29 pm.
Old 09 Oct 2009, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You really don't have to go through all that. If the reason for bypassing is the POS MFS switch, then cut and run the MFS through a relay to your lights. That way the MFS doesn't carry any current at all, it's just used to activate the relay. I've got a relay on each foglight just because I blew my MFS twice... haven't had a problem since...

There's a great thread in the Mod Bible over at PTCrew.com that walks you through the install. Cost me a total of $12...

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 09 Oct 2009, 03:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
You really don't have to go through all that. If the reason for bypassing is the POS MFS switch, then cut and run the MFS through a relay to your lights. That way the MFS doesn't carry any current at all, it's just used to activate the relay. I've got a relay on each foglight just because I blew my MFS twice... haven't had a problem since...

There's a great thread in the Mod Bible over at PTCrew.com that walks you through the install. Cost me a total of $12...
Thanks for your suggestion but I told them I did not want any connection to that as you call it POS MFS switch and to install and completely different one, that will allow me to have them on without the need of the amber or head lights being used.
Old 09 Oct 2009, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh yes then.. easily done, but I'd still install the relays rather than take the power through the switch, but that's a personal preference. I wouldn't mind doing that same thing, running it to a small switch with a backlight somewhere on the dash...

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 09 Oct 2009, 06:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Oh yes then.. easily done, but I'd still install the relays rather than take the power through the switch, but that's a personal preference. I wouldn't mind doing that same thing, running it to a small switch with a backlight somewhere on the dash...
I'm sorry I should of included the fact that they put a amp meter on the switch and it was only drawing 460ma which is not even 1 amp and to his understanding there is already a relay used from the wiring diagram he had.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 03:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by h100250 View Post
I'm sorry I should of included the fact that they put a amp meter on the switch and it was only drawing 460ma which is not even 1 amp and to his understanding there is already a relay used from the wiring diagram he had.
You just may want to look at your amp reading! The stock lamps for the fog lights are 9006 blubs and should be around 50 watts. So 100 watts and 12volts should give you an amp reading of aound 8 amps.

Also take a closer look at the wiring for the lights at the MFS. The relay that is part of the MFS is used to turn off the fog lights when the High beam lights are turned on.
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 02 Nov 2009, 03:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

if you want to go for a bypass to your multi function switch, separate the stuff by adding relays. thats easy and cheap to install