Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My ac stopped working. Help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2009, 07:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question My ac stopped working. Help!!!

I live in Hawaii. I have a 2007 pt cruiser with 48xxx on it. The Ac recently went out. I have never had problems with this car ever. I took it to fire stone and they told me that the (not sure on spelling) accumulator and the condensor need to be replaced and they gave me a quote for parts and labor for $1100. I just really need advice. Does this sound right as far as price? Is there somewhere I can go cheaper? What would cause both of these parts to all of a sudden go bad? Could this for sure be the problem? I am assuming that it really is the problem...I don't think they would make it up..well I don't know, but does the price sound accurate. It's a lot of money. I am just trying to see if there are any other options or a better place to go to get it fixed. I am having a baby next month and it is really hard driving and being stuck in traffic with no AC. Any suggestions, inputs, opinions would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Thank You
Old 14 Oct 2009, 07:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My ac stopped working. Help!!!

Welcome.
GET ANOTHER OPINION.
It is not impossible that accumulator and condenser are bad, but not likely on a 2007.
Does A/C compressor come on?
Usual causes of A/C not working:
1) Low on freon (needs charging)
2) Engine fan doesn't come on (A/C can work while you're moving)
3) Compressor clutch or compressor itself.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Oct 2009, 11:52 am
Regular Cruiser

In our area F---Stone is known as a MAJOR reason that auto mechanics have a bad reputation.

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 14 Oct 2009, 10:56 pm
Young Cruiser

I have a 2007 as well and my ac stopped working at 43 thousand miles and it was only a $25 low pressure switch that goes on top of the accumulator to fix my problem.At one time there was 2000 of these on back order so you can see they had a problem with them.Assuming the freon is still in the system,i would check to see if your clutch comes on.If not that unplug the pos batt cable for 5 min and then put it back on and see if the ac clicks on,if so its probably the switch.You can even put this switch on yourself with one wrench in less than five minutes with no freon coming out,very easy.Good luck.