PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
few turbo questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2009, 01:46 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yteka99
Default few turbo questions

I have a 2001 pt cruiser stock. I want to put a turbo on it but i really dont know anything about it. First, i dont know what kind of turbo i need. Second, i dont know if i need any other parts, prett sure i need an intercooler right? Third, how can i find one? I've looked on craigslist and found a few in my area but their off like civics and stuff like that. Third, i'm also looking to maybe put a new cam in it, any certain type i need that can run with a turbo?Any info please help!
Old 15 Oct 2009, 05:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: few turbo questions

Welcome tho the Forum.

This has been discussed before, DON'T do it as the engine is NOT designed for a turbo. The Turbo engine had heavy duty components whereas the NA doesn't. Go to learn it or burn it website, lots of gearheads there.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Oct 2009, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's some reading for you.

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

If you do, keep boost low. The turbo engine was beefed up.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Oct 2009, 10:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Done a bunch of research on this and basically what it comes down to:

If you know what parts to look for, and you can do the install yourself, you can turbo the PT for about $1500 in parts. If you don't know what to look for and you take it somewhere to have the work done, expect to pay in excess of $3000.

The stock block is good for no more than 8psi, so you can expect to only see about 200whp without modifying the block. (Headwork, forged pistons, rods) If you have an auto tranny, that'll handle no more than 250whp, if you can get your motor to withstand it initially.

So, here's the age-old phrase I've come to hate: if you want turbo power, trade in your N/A and get a GT.

If you've got an 01 in good condition, you can expect to get probably $2500-3000 as a trade in at a dealership and probably find an 03 GT for (around) $6500-7500. That platform will give you what you're looking for, and you'd spend about the same amount just trying to max out your N/A PT.

Old 25 Oct 2009, 08:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
So, here's the age-old phrase I've come to hate: if you want turbo power, trade in your N/A and get a GT.

Not 100% accurate. You could trade in your N/A and get a Limited with a diet turbo and for less than the cost diff between a GT and a Limited - have more HP than the GT (I'm speaking of the Stage 0 upgrade).
Old 25 Oct 2009, 09:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

The comparison was meant to be made between the N/A and the turbo, not necessarily JUST the GT. I stand corrected, however, you also forget to mention (in that price difference) giving up the 17" GT wheels and tires, bigger front calipers, rear discs and the option to have the autostick tranny. And also, by referring to "Stage 0" on the Limited, I'm assuming you mean just the PCM flash, correct? If so, no. The Limited will match the output of a GT when the PCM is flashed, and Premium fuel is used, because that is the only thing holding the Lite beneath the GT. The only time that the Limited's output will exceed a "Stage 0" GT is with a Stage 1 installed.