PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Engine swap

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2009, 08:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Engine swap

Hello all, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me, I am in the process of swapping in a 2005 engine into my 2001 Cruiser. I have purchased the used 2005 motor and a automatic ECM, still looking for a 2005 engine wiring harness. I'm looking for anyone that has done this swap to inform me of all the parts that have to be changed out to make this happen. I also need info on the auto transaxle, mine appears to have the trans computer attached to it and the 2005 uses the ECM to process transmission function, all info on this swap will be greatly appreciated, I've swapped the drivetrain in my Cherokee out to "383" Chevy so I am very experienced in hot-rodding, just got the Cruiser for my significant other.

Last edited by mastifffreak; 22 Oct 2009 at 05:41 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Engine swap

I suggest you get the shop manuals for both the '01 and the '05, and pore over the diagrams...
Hope you have patience.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Oct 2009, 08:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just out of curiosity why the change? You've done a huge chunk or work for very little benefit.
As far as the PCM differences.... 01 was SBEC with separate transmission control. (Single Board Engine Controller) 05 is NGC3 (Next Generation Controller generation #3) NGC combines engine control and trans control in one controller. There are significant wiring harness and mechanical difference in the engine.
Honestly this is not a great idea. It's a lot of work and I'm not sure you can get it to work with out serious bastardisation. You would be a lot better off just putting an 01-03 engine in. Mechanically it just drops in... electronically ..... You're pretty close to S.O.L.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 08:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

I can do it, I got the Cruiser for 1500.00. It had the windows broke out on the passenger side and a blown headgasket. On ebay they are asking 1000.00 to 1650.00 for a good 2001-2002 engine and I bought a 2006 for 399.00 + shipping of 200.00, ECM was 33.99 and wiring was 125.00. I'm not going into this blind, I've already checked with the Mopar Guru's on Just Answer web-site and they say that it is pretty straight forward swap. I am going to sell the head, short block and transaxle to get some of my money back, the later transaxle bolts right in and as long as you use the complete engine, wiring and ECM it's supposed to be almost a bolt-in. If there are differences in the ECM plug I can rerout the wiring where it needs to go, hell when TPI came out on the corvette I put one in my Jeep CJ-5 with the modifyed stock harness after I eliminated the unnecessary wiring. I have been schooled in EFI by Shade Tree University and studying many, many wiring schematic's. As far as added performance I am adding a 2 1/2" exhaust built with mandrel bent bends by me,OBX ceramic headers, and flowmaster muffler, other than that the car is for my wife to drive so its not being modifyed too much, I could have put a 4.3 G.M. Performance engine in it if I was going to drive it my self. I will keep everyone posted if it works out, later, mastifffreak.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Mastifffreak,
Could you send me the details on this, the engine in my 01/automatic is shot. I've found a low mileage (18k) shipped for 600$. I wanted to know what all I was looking at changing to get the 08 engine to work if I get the engine co,puter and harness from the 08. Thanks for the help!
Old 24 Jun 2010, 11:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Just had the shop do a motor exchange with an 07. My 01 had a blown engine also, basically all the shop did was pull out the 01 and drop the 07 in. The 07 had a bad computer that shut the whole car down. So far I've had no problems or any engine trouble.
Is Your Vet Listed?
Old 25 Jun 2010, 07:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

The shop that did your repairs had to use the computer and harness from the 07 right? Do you have more info on the swap? Really dont want to buy this engine then have it not work in my car. Any more info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 25 Jun 2010, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thats not possible as far as I know. I am trying to put an 05 eng in my 01 cruiser, I had to buy the engine and front vehicle harness. I have the complete engine and engine harness in the vehicle now but am being baffled at every turn, even the plugs on the wiper motor and just about every thing that the front harness plugs into is different. The drive train control computer was eliminated before 2005 so thats different, I used to think that I could do just about anything involving a engine swap but now I believe those that say it's not possible without changing almost every accessory and harness on the vehicle. Trust me on this, those that say they put a later engine in a 2001 with just a computer change and a engine harness are FULL OF S-it. If I am wrong on this somebody please help me out as I have a great looking 2001 Cruiser thats just a dust magnet now.

Last edited by mastifffreak; 25 Jun 2010 at 09:12 am.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Take your time and pace yourself. Get the complete wiring diagram for both years that way you can color code match. Even if the wire colors don't match don't worry. Example wiper blade says blue yellow on a 2001 but black red on a 2005 then just cut the plug on the 2001 and splice it to the 2005. Don't overwhelm yourself thinking about how much work it is just pace yourself.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 02:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: 2001 Engine swap

My dad is doing this exact same swap, he went a slightly different route however, using the old harness and adapting it to the new motor where need be. He also had to tap the head for the EGR tube (newer head has EGR hook up blocked off) it's Manual Trans, so we don't have to worry about the trans, what we have run into however is the Crankshaft Position Sensor is in a completely different location. Everything is hooked up but it seems to be firing at the wrong time... I wonder if it's because the sensor is in a different spot... Anybody have any info on this? I wonder if we will have to get the computer flashed, reprogrammed or modified in some way...
Good luck mastifffreak I'll share any info I can that may help