Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Co-workers cruiser won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2009, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Co-workers cruiser won't start

A co-worker of mine has an 01 PT Cruiser with about 120,xxx miles on it and it died the other day as he was leaving work. The car would start but unless you keep reving it up and stalls. It has a new battery & a new alternator. We added some dry gas and that didn't help.

Any theories on this one? My guess was possibly the fuel pump since reving it keeps it running but once you stop reving it dies (seems like lack of fuel).

I'm not familiar with these cars at all so I don't know much about them or know what the common issues are.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Co-workers cruiser won't start

Could be the fuel pump or it could be clogged injectors OR it could be that the timing belt has stretched and messed up the timing. With 120K do you know if the timing belt was changed? It should have been done around the 100k mark.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Could be the fuel pump or it could be clogged injectors OR it could be that the timing belt has stretched and messed up the timing. With 120K do you know if the timing belt was changed? It should have been done around the 100k mark.
Knowing my co-worker I highly doubt it. he doesn't fix anything until it's broken. I'm sure he hasn't kept up with the preventive maintenance.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 04:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Might have to take it to the dealer or a mechanic with a scanner to pinpoint the exact problem.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does the check engine light come on?
Turn the key on & off 3 times and codes should appear in odometer window, followed by the word "done" - you should always get the word done.

Post the codes...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Nov 2009, 09:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

He just got a call from the mechanic and they said they couldn't figure out the exact problem but they believe it is the main computer and recommending he take it to the dealer to get it fixed...
Old 13 Nov 2009, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you would, please post again when it's fixed - it's how we learn....
My bet is timing belt jumped a tooth....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles