Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Tensioner Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2009, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Tensioner Design

My daughter has an '01 PT Cruiser Limited. The water pump was leaking so I replaced it, and since I had to remove the timing belt, I changed the timing belt also. Problem is, it jumped time and I'm pretty sure it's the timing belt tensioner as it looked funky to me.

Question, I see there are new designs available for the timing belt tensioner. I can get this from Oreilly's Gates Part No. T43008. But they also have this design Gates Part No. T43005. It looks like you need this also for the T43008, Gates Part No. T43131? I'm confused here, can I used either of these universally or do I need more parts. I also found this kit: Timing Belt Component Kits by Dayco - Part 20280184 - Advance Auto Parts
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Tensioner Design

While your searching around, check out the different brands and prices at ROCK AUTO (one of the stores in the Vendors part of the forum). Here's a link to the 2001 belt tensioners.

2001 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER Belt Tensioner

I bought all my parts from them to do the timing belt, water pump, serpentine, alternator belt and tensioner.

The tensioner that I bought for mine was from DAYCO Part #89319
Old 23 Oct 2009, 06:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This is the correct kit. It includes the new style tensioner and covers. Use this one. The old style like you have has it's issues.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 07:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I have also come to that conclusion of ordering that kit from Advance Auto. After looking the old one, I believe the kit with the new design tensioner is the way to go. Thanks again.
Old 19 May 2010, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by treed View Post
My daughter has an '01 PT Cruiser Limited. The water pump was leaking so I replaced it, and since I had to remove the timing belt, I changed the timing belt also. Problem is, it jumped time and I'm pretty sure it's the timing belt tensioner as it looked funky to me.

Question, I see there are new designs available for the timing belt tensioner. I can get this from Oreilly's Gates Part No. T43008. But they also have this design Gates Part No. T43005. It looks like you need this also for the T43008, Gates Part No. T43131? I'm confused here, can I used either of these universally or do I need more parts. I also found this kit: Timing Belt Component Kits by Dayco - Part 20280184 - Advance Auto Parts
how was the purchase, did you get the right parts you were looking for. the particular gates tensioner worked for me, we have the same year and model.

Last edited by daviddrift; 24 May 2010 at 08:58 pm.
Old 19 May 2010, 09:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

David,

That particular thread your looking out is 7 months old and treed hasn't been back to the forum since that was posted last October.
Old 20 May 2010, 06:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

True, I haven't been back since way back when. I bought the tensioner from O'reillys. It look more like the Dayco one, but I really don't remember the brand. I put it on back in October and she hasn't had any problems with it since then. Only time will tell how long this tensioner will last, but it seems to be more of a robust design than the original one that was on it.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 01:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Crewzin the part number you posted was for the serpantine belt he was I think asking about timing belt tentioner. I have also heard that there are several desines out there cause the original was cheaply made.I to whould like to know of other types so if anyone has changed theirs let us all know
Old 24 Nov 2011, 09:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Timing Belt Tensioner Design

I too couldn't get the belt over the 2nd generation tensioner!!!!

I read nearly every post on many sites none of which helped. I measured the diameter of the old and new tensioner and they were within 6 thousandths of each other.... so that's not the problem.

What I determind is that there is no way you can get the 2nd generation belt tensioner to retract far enough to get the belt over it.

So I removed the tensioner roller from it's bracket by loosening and removing it's pivot bolt.... and set it aside.

First, I made sure that the crankshaft was alinged with crankcase mark on the back edge of the crankshaft tooth.

Second, I made sure the right side valve cam sprocket mark was horizonal.... I did this by aligning a flexable metal ruler across the center of each valve cam sprocket bolt....

Third, I then threaded the timing belt around the crankshaft sprocket... the water pump... the timing belt pivot pulley.... and the right side valve cam sprocket.... at that point placed a small visegrip on the timing belt and right side valve cam sprocket.... this held the belt and the crank and right side valve cam from moving.

I then positioned the left side valve cam sprocket one half tooth below the right side valve cam sprocket, positioned the belt over the left side cam and reinstalled the belt tensioner roller making sure the tensioner spring was between the mounting bracket tangs. I removed the small visegrip... tensioned the tensioner as per instructions .... turned the the crankshaft two revolutions and everything align as it should.

So there is no magic way to pre-position the 2nd generation tensioner