Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Heater Problem!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2009, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Heater Problem!!

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser, 4cyl Front wheel drive. Automatic 41000 miles...

Blower works good when car is cold, engine warms up and blower sounds like it's running normal, but no air comes out from the vents. On all settings, even a/c. Sounds like a vacuum issue with a vent door. HELP PLEASE! It's getting close to winter!
Old 25 Oct 2009, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Heater Problem!!

Welcome to the Forum!!! Some have found that a cable was kinked, once straightened out, no problem. PT's do not use vacuum lines.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Jan 2011, 02:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i have a 07 and this just started with mine, it blowes hot air for about 15min`s then with no warning you here the blower sound muffle like the doors in the heater box all close . then the air pressure from the vents gets really low. if you turn the speed switch off and on it seem to run normal for 1 sec then lose pressure again. with this happens you can alway feel heat in the vents. has anybody diagnoised this problem,my car just lost it waranty,thanks terry
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Likely a vacuum issue, I had the hose behind the center console panel, where you switch to recirculate, it had a hairline crack in it and stopped working, caused me all sorts of problems getting air in the car. Pulled out the center console (ask before you try this!) and found the house, cut it off about a half inch, reconnected it, and no more problems. One day I'll likely have to replace that hose.

Also, I had a similar issue while under warranty and let the Dealership deal with it. Well, about a week later I suddenly couldn't move that switch fully clockwise. So I pulled the center cover off (again, ask before you do this!) and found that the cable that runs from the temp control was wrapped behind the vacuum hose and stopping the switch from working properly. Done at the Dealership. was less than a 1 minute fix, not counting the time to remove the center console cover (did I mention, ask before you do this???).

If you decide to remove your center console cover, please drop me, or others here, a line to make sure you don't damage it or your dash. I found out the hard way how really easy it is to either remove it properly, or damage everything!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay, enough teasing, for you '06 and up PT owners, here's a very simple tutorial on getting that silly center console off without destroying the entire thing.

First, remove the screws, phillips head, found in the vents. You have to turn the vents in a particular way to even see them. I highly suggest magnetizing your screwdriver first. NOTE - you do NOT need to remove any switch covers, etc., prior to removing the faceplate, ONLY these two screws.

Next, starting at the bottom, gently pry the face away from the center console. I highly suggest the thin panel pry's that you can buy at almost any car parts. I bought mine for $9 at Advance Auto, full set of four.

In this picture you can see where the friction clamps hold the faceplate on. Be careful prying around the sides, it's easy to damage both the faceplate and the center console.

After removing the vent screws, I can literally grab the bottom of the faceplate and yank it right off the center console. Then be careful removing it as you have cords, cables and hoses behind it.

In the picture above you can see the clock and HVAC cables hanging, to really access behind the faceplate you'll need to disconnect those. Make sure you raise the orange or red locking tab before trying to pry off those cable connectors, or you'll do more damage.

When you're done, make sure you reconnect the cables, then gently stab the vents back into the vent hoses while watching for the cables to not be kinked. I start at the top, moving to the bottom, opposite of how I remove it.

Hope that helps!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Now, let me be the voice of experience for a moment and show you why I say be careful removing that cover, and do not just stab a screwdriver under it. I call this, the idiot gap:

This gap, the Idiot Gap, was created by some moron, idiot, retard, asshat, dipstick who decided he was too smart to find out the proper way to remove this cover. The remaining "mauling" was from the screwdriver that the aforementioned asshat used when trying to pry the cover off. Now there is a permanent gap there, until said moron gets his collective shite together and gets some files and emery paper and fixes it.... please, don't do this to your PT, it doesn't deserve it!

NOTE - no animals were harmed in the making of this tutorial. All tests were performed on human subjects, and all drugs administered were FDA approved!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

and before you ask, yes, that IS a custom shift lever knob...
Old 13 Jan 2011, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks , i would have never looked in the vents
Old 13 Jan 2011, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They have the vacuum lines in the 01-05 Cruisers also (number#3) in the photo.

Something I didn't realize, in the 01-05 PT's there's 4 control knobs for the Heater-A/C system where looking at the picture above by ChromeNut, Chrylser did away with something and went down to 3 control knobs. Where's your control for inside/outside (fresh/recirculate) air?? Is that it on one of the push buttons on top of the control knobs?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Jan 2011 at 07:11 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 09:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Recirculate is the push-button at the bottom of the dial for the center controller.

Last edited by Chromenut; 13 Jan 2011 at 09:11 pm.

Tags
blower, heater