Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Dead or Not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2009, 03:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Dead or Not?

Its was doing that going into 3rd and 5th and popping it out of 5th , I got really aggricated with it tonite, and was slamming it back into 3rd when it kept popping out, (YEAH I lost my temper), and then it just broke down completely and I started coasting.. and now its really fubar. Not sure what to do at this point, I was able to push it home , but it will not engage in any gear now, gear shift just feels free and loose, I was able to take off whole console and gear knob to slide off everything, to look at everything , but I dont really know what I AM LOOKING FOR SO ......Can anyone help me out, and umm.. anyone know how to get any of the parts from the gearshift knob down to the transmission?
Does this mean my transmission clutch and everything are dead?
Old 26 Oct 2009, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Dead or Not?

I'm hoping linkage - for your sake, but that wouldn't account for it popping out of gear.
Look at the linkage - bushings, etc...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Oct 2009, 08:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Linkage

Yeah that was right , I took it to a shop and they repaired the linkage cables , but I still dont have a 3rd gear anymore, its completely gone. I am going to get a new transmission put in there. I have been told to just sell the car and move on, but I am not accepting defeat in this because I have already put so much money in this thing and I don't think that many people would buy a car with no transmission for anything close than what I have put in this thing, I would be taking a loss, that way, or an even bigger loss if I replace the transmission and then the engine goes out?
Old 27 Oct 2009, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I spent almost $3K on a new tranny following a breakdown on our way home from a July 4th vacation...broke down in Mechanicsburg, PA of all places. Transmission fluid pump failed causing catastrophic failure. I feel your pain...

Owner of Bessy, '02 Limited Steel Blue & Gidget, '02 Limited Blue Woody
Old 27 Oct 2009, 09:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah when they came out , I really really wanted one, now that I have one ,
I really really wish I HADNT GOT ONE. But maybe this is just a bad example.
I am trying to talk someone into rebuilding it for me, but it 6 hour drive, dont know if I can make it there with two gears LOL but thinking about trying.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, I was about an hour and a half from home on a Sunday afternoon...had to burn a sick day at work, put the fam up in a hotel, jawwed with the sales & service mgr's at the local dealership and the one where I bought it. Tried to talk to Chrysler direct to get some sort of help. Found out I was 2 days shy of losing the extended warranty, but since I wasn't the orignal owner, I wasn't eligible for it (even though the dealership I bought it at thought it was still valid).

Owner of Bessy, '02 Limited Steel Blue & Gidget, '02 Limited Blue Woody