PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Rear disk brakes on a PT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2009, 08:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear disk brakes on a PT?

Any of you know a rear disk conversion? Maybe a Neon, Avenger, Compass???

Any info will be appreciated.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 06:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear disk brakes on a PT?

Very costly.
4-wheel disks were an option on PTs - standard on the GT turbo, and always came with ABS. The disks, etc, aren't the issue, the ABS is.
What are you after? Better braking? Buy expensive front disks and Ceramic pads for the fronts - the fronts do 80% of the braking.
I got Brembo disks, and good ceramic pads at Tire Rack.
You cannot buy turbo disks, they won't fit in your calipers - pads are the same.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Nov 2009, 09:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

what about if you replace the complet rear end from a limited pt cruiser ?
looks like all the parts will fit with out an problem
Old 02 Nov 2009, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Parts will fit, it's the ABS controls....
Old 02 Nov 2009, 05:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

Yes you are correct the abs needs to be replace also
i got the rear end and i also purchase the abs module to be honest i got 3 of them thinking it was the same or they will work but i made two mistakes

4 disc, abs and tracking control
the correct module is P 05273680

this will work on touring and limited from 2000 to 2004
you also have to look at the plugs there are some units with two plugs

Last edited by partyd; 02 Nov 2009 at 08:43 pm.
Old 02 Nov 2009, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Add to this, once you install everything to include ABS, you have to get your PCM reflashed to utilize the ABS function, otherwise you may just end up slamming on your brakes one day and find out that they just lock up.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 21 Nov 2009, 11:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The 2010 PT Cruiser now comes standard with 4 wheel disk brakes, ABS, and traction control. You can't get it any other way.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 08:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think the question I want to ask straight out is this:
Can rear disc brakes be installed without also installing and using the ABS function?

I can't think of any mechanical reason why not. Is there a PCM or BCM reason, if there was no ABS to begin with? I am just as likely to lock up front disc/rear drum as I am front/rear disc when neither have ABS.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
Can rear disc brakes be installed without also installing and using the ABS function?

I can't think of any mechanical reason why not. Is there a PCM or BCM reason, if there was no ABS to begin with? I am just as likely to lock up front disc/rear drum as I am front/rear disc when neither have ABS.
From the 2006 shop manual:

BRAKES - BASE
DESCRIPTION - BASE BRAKE SYSTEM
The base brake system consists of the following components:
² Brake pedal
² Power brake booster
² Master cylinder
² Proportioning valves (2) (non-ABS vehicles only)
² Brake tubes and hoses
² Disc brakes (front)
² Disc brakes (rear) (optional)
² Drum brakes (rear)
² Parking brake
The hydraulic brake system is diagonally split for both the non-antilock and antilock braking systems. That means
the left front and right rear brakes are on one hydraulic circuit and the right front and left rear are on the other.
Front disc brakes control the braking of the front wheels; rear braking is controlled by rear drum brakes as standard
equipment. Rear disc brakes and antilock brakes with or without traction control are optional.
Vehicles equipped with the optional antilock brake system (ABS) use a system that shares most base brake hardware
used on vehicles without ABS. For more information on ABS (Refer to 5 - BRAKES - ABS - DESCRIPTION).
---

BRAKES - ABS - SERVICE INFORMATION
DESCRIPTION
ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
The Antilock Brake System (ABS) prevents wheel lockup under braking conditions on virtually any type of road surface.
Antilock braking is desirable because a vehicle that is stopped without locking the wheels retains directional
stability and some steering capability. This allows the driver to retain greater control of the vehicle during braking.
This vehicle uses an antilock brake system designated MK25e. For this vehicle, MK25e is available with or without
traction control. Traction control reduces wheel slip and maintains traction at driving speeds below 64 km/h (40 mph)
when road conditions call for traction assistance. For more information on traction control, (Refer to 5 - BRAKES -
ABS - DESCRIPTION).
All vehicles equipped with ABS use electronic variable brake proportioning (EVBP) to balance front-to-rear braking
when the brakes are applied in the partial braking range. For more information on electronic brake distribution,
(Refer to 5 - BRAKES - ABS - DESCRIPTION).
This system shares most base brake hardware used on vehicles without ABS. Included in the ABS system is an
integrated control unit (ICU) and four wheel speed sensors. Although similar to vehicles without ABS, a different
master cylinder and brake tubes are used.
The MK25e ICU is made up of the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) and the Antilock Brake Module (ABM). For additional
information on these components, (Refer to 5 - BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/HCU (HYDRAULIC
CONTROL UNIT) - DESCRIPTION) (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ANTILOCK
BRAKE MODULE - DESCRIPTION).
ELECTRONIC VARIABLE BRAKE PROPORTIONING
Vehicles equipped with ABS use electronic variable brake proportioning (EVBP) to balance front-to-rear braking. The
EVBP is used in place of a rear proportioning valve. The EVBP system uses the ABS system to control the slip of
the rear wheels in partial braking range. The braking force of the rear wheels is controlled electronically by using the
inlet and outlet valves located in the integrated control unit (ICU).
EVBP activation is invisible to the customer since there is no pump motor noise or brake pedal feedback.
TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM
Traction control reduces wheel slip and maintains traction
at the driving wheels at speeds below 64 km/h
(40 mph) when road surfaces are slippery. The traction
control system reduces wheel slip by braking the
wheel that is losing traction.
The traction control system may be turned off or on by
depressing the traction control switch button located
on the instrument panel.
PT BRAKES - ABS - SERVICE INFORMATION 5 - 279
OPERATION
ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM
There are a few performance characteristics of the MK25e Antilock Brake System that may at first seem abnormal,
but in fact are normal. These characteristics are described below.
NORMAL BRAKING
Under normal braking conditions, the ABS functions the same as a standard base brake system with a diagonally
split master cylinder and conventional vacuum assist.
ABS BRAKING
ABS operation is available at all vehicle speeds above 5–8 km/h (3–5 mph). If a wheel locking tendency is detected
during a brake application, the brake system enters the ABS mode. During ABS braking, hydraulic pressure in the
four wheel circuits is modulated to prevent any wheel from locking. Each wheel circuit is designed with a set of
electric solenoids to allow modulation, although for vehicle stability, both rear wheel solenoids receive the same
electrical signal. Wheel lockup may be perceived at the very end of an ABS stop and is considered normal.
During an ABS stop, the brakes hydraulic system is still diagonally split. However, the brake system pressure is
further split into four control channels. During antilock operation of the vehicle’s brake system, the wheels are controlled
independently and are on separate control channels.
The system can build, hold and release pressure at each wheel, depending on signals generated by the wheel
speed sensors (WSS) at each wheel and received at the Antilock Brake Module.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 06:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post

I also can't see why not - except, I had a car years ago where rear brakes would lock up - there was a front/rear proportioning valve that was set wrong - I don't know if a PT has that.
Would seem to me if you swap out hardware and you're just replacing drums w/disks, the hydraulics wouldn't know and would work the same.