Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rough idle in AM, 2001 PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2009, 09:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default rough idle in AM, 2001 PT

I have over 90K miles on 2001 PT crusier.

I noticed after cold overnight, for few minutes the engine runs rough. I have taken to a mechanic and had routine tuneup, including new spark plugs but the problems continue.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 10:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: rough idle in AM, 2001 PT

I was getting something simillar last night, it started well but was idling rough for like 5-10 seconds, but on my 06 N/A manual with only 60k km on it...
Old 26 Oct 2009, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
I have over 90K miles on 2001 PT crusier.

I noticed after cold overnight, for few minutes the engine runs rough. I have taken to a mechanic and had routine tuneup, including new spark plugs but the problems continue.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
When the plugs were changed were the plug wires changed? What gap did they gap the plugs at? The info on the hood says: .050, a new TSB states that plugs should be gapped at .040.

You mentioned a routine tune up, do you know what all services were preformed? Sorry for the questions, but it will help us determine possible fixes for your problem.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Last edited by Hooligan; 26 Oct 2009 at 11:34 am.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 12:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

With a limited amount of information my first guess would be plug wires..A can of SeaFoam in the tank may help too.

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 26 Oct 2009, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
When the plugs were changed were the plug wires changed? What gap did they gap the plugs at? The info on the hood says: .050, a new TSB states that plugs should be gapped at .040.
thanks for all the replies.

Plug wires were not changed.

I was charged $300 for iridium? plugs, and oil change. I assume gap is properly set. I had a problem for several weeks starting prior to changing of the plugs and even after new plugs problems are continuing.

Question 1:
Where can I get a set of spark plug wires for 2001 PT?, is there a reasonable place on internet or should I goto a dealer??

Question 2:
Spark plug wires replacement easy?. I used to work on VW engines but now don't want to get my hands too dirty...

thanks

gychang
Old 26 Oct 2009, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

$300 for 4 plugs and a oil change you got RIPPED big time!!! Champion Platinum plugs are $2.00 each, so that is $8.00. Labor to do it, as it can be done within 1 hour=$60 + oil change, total should not have been over $90.

You should have went to the dealer for everything, it still wouldn't have cost you that much. Go to the dealer and order MOPAR performance wires. When you replace them, check the gap on your plugs. There is a sticky about changing your plugs in the performance section of this Forum.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Oct 2009, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
$300 for 4 plugs and a oil change you got RIPPED big time!!! Champion Platinum plugs are $2.00 each, so that is $8.00. Labor to do it, as it can be done within 1 hour=$60 + oil change, total should not have been over $90.

You should have went to the dealer for everything, it still wouldn't have cost you that much. Go to the dealer and order MOPAR performance wires. When you replace them, check the gap on your plugs. There is a sticky about changing your plugs in the performance section of this Forum.
Oh boy, sounds bad.

I will get the MOPAR performance wires. I will likely have someone else replace the wires and check the gap, how much is the reasonable cost for the labor?

gychang
Old 26 Oct 2009, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Many of us have done it in under an hour -- and we're not mechanics.
Ask how much up front. It is not hard to do.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Oct 2009, 07:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just ordered MSD sparkplug wires from SUMMIT Racing(Nice big 8mm ones).
I would get a manual and do it yourself. You would be surprised how easy this job is.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 08:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrywi View Post
I just ordered MSD sparkplug wires from SUMMIT Racing(Nice big 8mm ones).
thanks, I ordered the same ones.

Sounds like I have to do this myself. I have worked on VW engines 30yrs ago. I gather I will need SAE size tools, right?

Do I need anything more than regular sockets, and ones for spark plugs?, I have adjustable wrench but not SAE fixed set. I will be working on my PT for the 1st time. (I don't change oil even, but I will likely do this plug wire change and check the spark plug gap myself).

Do I need any other tools (I will get a set of plug gap measure tool)?, have the usual garage tools including vise grip, hammer, etc.

thanks in advance. I plan to follow pictorial guide on this forum.
gychang