Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Catalytic Converter Troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2009, 07:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Catalytic Converter Troubles

OK so i recently purchased a used 2005 PT Cruiser that had only 44,150 miles on it when i got it. I had it for about 3 days and then the check engine light came on (by the way thank you to crewzin for teaching me how to pull the check engine light code myself) when i took it to autozone the code that came up was P0138 which they told me was for the rear o2 sensor. Admitidly i do not know that much about cars, but I was reading the forums on this site and some others and I noticed that my car has a faint rotten egg smell after i get out of the car. The smell does not appear instantly when the car is started it needs to run for a couple of minutes.

The info i got says this is most likely my catalytic converter failing to do its job. I have had this car less than 2 weeks and have put less than 200 miles on it. So my question is, is this guarenteed to by my catalytic converter because of the rotten egg smell or could it just be the o2 sensor or both. Also I purchased a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty on the car for the dealer i got it from. So i was also wondering if it is the catalytic converter do you think it would be covered under the warranty?

I really like this car and do not wish to have to get rid of it so soon but it seems that a cat is kinda spendy which i dont have the money to replace. Oh also the check engine light turned off on the 4th day with no mantanence done to the car what so ever. Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 08:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Catalytic Converter Troubles

Siinizter, Welcome to the Forum.

I believe that your Cat Converter should be under covered under warranty. One reason is when I was working at a dealership (long time ago) there was a 50,000 mile EPA standard coverage for all emission parts. I do think that it was increased to 80,000, but I'm not sure.

Take it to your dealer or just call them. Was your warranty a Genuine Chrysler or a aftermarket one?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Oct 2009, 08:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

I bought the car used and bought the warranty from the Used car dealership so i am fairly sure it is an aftermarket warranty
Old 28 Oct 2009, 09:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

This 2004 PT Owners Manual, http://www.chrysler.com/carryover/do...PT_Cruiser.pdf, says the Warranty information is in a seperate booklet.

At the Chrysler site, My Chrysler: Official Chrysler Owners website - Warranty, Vehicle Specs, Service Contracts, Financing, Dealers, found the following warranty info for a 2004 PT. http://www.chrysler.com/crossbrand/w...4cdj100103.pdf

Old 28 Oct 2009, 09:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I still say take it to a Chrysler dealer. They are the only ones who know if it is covered or not!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Oct 2009, 04:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When I thought my trouble at Myrtle beach was the converter, every shop I called about changing it said the converter was covered to 80,000 .
Old 28 Oct 2009, 06:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

P0138 is an electrical issue with the downstream 02 sensor. Basically the sensor is open circuit. It MAY be a wiring issue but usually it's just the sensor. Don't know if it's covered under 7/70 emission warranty but I would take it to a dealer to check. Shouldn't be very expensive... somewhere around 200-250 at the most. Plus you get Mopar 12/12 warranty.