PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Worried about auto transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2009, 09:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY
Default Worried about auto transmission

Had a bad experience today with my 2002 PT (auto tranny, 92,000 miles). As I came to a stop light, maybe going .5-1 mph, the car sort of sputtered and stopped immediately. I took my foot off the brake pedal and to my suprise, went nowhere. I shifted though the gears, still nothing happened. So I revved the engine, while in the drive gear, still going nowhere. Revved it again, harder this time and it slammed into gear and took off.

This really had me worried, my transmission I always though was in great condition, always shifts smooth, and has never given me any troubles until now. It really caught me off guard and I really hope nothing is majorly wrong with it. Any advice/insight is very much appreciated.

Im not sure if this is related or not, but It does have that "quirk" where it kind of lurches/jerks forward when coming to a stop.

Thanks a bunch!

George

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 10:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Worried about auto transmission

More info dude.

Did you check the transmission fluid level?

When was the transmission last serviced?

Old 28 Oct 2009, 03:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

I havent checked the level yet. I'll do that and report back. I had the fluid flushed at 81,000 miles so it should be good.

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 04:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Don't know if it's the tranny or not, but ours did the lurch thing, then sounded like aluminum being crinkled up and then finally the car wouldn't go anywhere. All this at 81k and it had been dealer serviced.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Oct 2009, 04:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Don't know if it's the tranny or not, but ours did the lurch thing, then sounded like aluminum being crinkled up and then finally the car wouldn't go anywhere. All this at 81k and it had been dealer serviced.
So what ended up happening?

My Love:
Old 28 Oct 2009, 05:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My guess is Torque Converter ...
Old 28 Oct 2009, 06:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Most likely either the fluid is low or you have internal problems. It may have only done it once so far but it will do it more. Probably looking at rebuild time. Another option is a Mopar Remanufactured unit. They come with a 3yr/100k mile warranty!
Old 28 Oct 2009, 07:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYPTGUY View Post
So what ended up happening?
Don't know as we traded the '01 in for a '04 PT. I do know that overdrive is a weak link in these auto trannies, especially the turbo where you don't want to boost in overdrive. I downshift to third when I need to punch it plus every 30k I alternate between a drain and fill and a full service flush. The '04 has almost 130k now.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Oct 2009, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

We had a 2002 that we were driving home from shopping when the car just slowed down on I-95, pulled it off the road, called AAA and took it to the dealer, it had to be completely rebuilt, traded it in on a new 2006.

Never asked what they found when it was rebuilt.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Last edited by Hooligan; 29 Oct 2009 at 08:09 am.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 09:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
Most likely either the fluid is low or you have internal problems. It may have only done it once so far but it will do it more. Probably looking at rebuild time. Another option is a Mopar Remanufactured unit. They come with a 3yr/100k mile warranty!
I tried searching for the remanufactured transmissions but couldnt come up with a price. Any idea how much they cost?

My Love: