Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP CHANGE??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2009, 02:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP CHANGE??

Ok I have a 2003( NA) Automatic PT ( bought new) when is it recommended for this change & how much is average$$'s? Currently at 75K,,, I dont abuse or push it hard- well maintained. again thanks MJB( I know its been asked before but couldnt find it) IS 100K Realistic??

Last edited by mjb457; 29 Oct 2009 at 03:19 pm.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 03:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP CHANGE??

Read the timing belt thread a couple down from yours......

Timing Belt Broke?

Old 29 Oct 2009, 03:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

ok that is one example but what is Chrysler saying? and average with high mile PT's on this site,,thankyou though for the help, MJB
Old 29 Oct 2009, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If I were you, I'd do it. My uncle has 3 neons and 1 pt cruiser. All but one of the cars have had the timing belt changed @ 100k miles or less. The cruiser has 110k on the clock and previous owner let it rip(bent valves and bhg).
Old 29 Oct 2009, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

at around that 100,000 mark you really need to already have figured out where it is going to go to be fixed the cost is any place between $800-$1500 most dealers I think are at like the $1200 mark---I will tell you this i work on a lot of cars and this is one that will go to the dealer there are some times a ton of things after the belt change that give people fits If i keep mine it will go to some place with a good reputation
Old 30 Oct 2009, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default WATER PUMP CHANGE??

Water pumps are operated by a fan belt at the front of the engine or by the timing belt
Old 30 Oct 2009, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

im not 100% what drives the water pump btu i do know that enought folks have said that when they did the timing belt the also did the water pump not really sure why unless its like well its got 100000 miles on it and i am here anyway
Old 30 Oct 2009, 10:42 am
Senior Cruiser

mine was 1200$...my waterpump went at 60000km/canadian......1200$ for timing belt and waterpump...lots of labour involved
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 30 Oct 2009, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: WATER PUMP CHANGE??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willison View Post
Water pumps are operated by a fan belt at the front of the engine or by the timing belt
turned by the timing belt
Old 30 Oct 2009, 11:15 am
Regular Cruiser

For those that don't know, the water pump may be OK at the time, but it makes no sense to not change it while you are right there. That is why the belt and pump are done together.
It is expensive because there is a lot of stuff that has to be removed to get to the parts.