Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 ptc randomly dies, electrical?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2009, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 ptc randomly dies, electrical?

I have a 03 cruiser with a standard trans. and it has been a great car. However, randomly over the last several months while slowing for a light or a sharp turn the car will just die. Only a couple of times did it happen when i was not slowing down. Then today I was slowing for a red light and total loss of power! Nothing but a weak crackly buzz (even without the keys in the ignition), not even my flashers would turn on. Usually when the car would die, i would pop the clutch and be on my way... but today it would not even start that way. After about 2 cycles of the light out of no where power was restored and i was able to start it. I happened to be turning about 100 yards ahead of where this happened and when i got into the turning lane and slowed down it did it again this time the power did not come back. I replaced the battery, but now it starts and then immediately shuts down. The one time it did remain running it idled at about 750 rpm but with a stutter like a fuel filter issue. I have been to Dodge and they couldn't tell why it would randomly die. Diagnostic produced no error or issue codes. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 12:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 ptc randomly dies, electrical?

Welcome.
You have a lot of "junk" on your keyring? The weight ruins the ignition switch.
That would be hunch # 1.
When's last time wires and plugs were done?
Inspect battery cables and grounds.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Oct 2009, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 03 ptc randomly dies, electrical?

Thank you for your reply.

Only 3 keys on a ring (learned that the hard way), plugs and wires were serviced last summer. I checked the battery and cables that day. There was a great deal of corrosion around the post covering the terminal ends (golf ball size). After cleaning that mess, I tried to jump/charge the battery. It would not take a charge. (I had just purchased that battery on 3/24/08). Needless to say I had it replaced and was on my way, but still with this issue. Could a bad connection on the other end or break in the cables somewhere could be causing my battery corrosion issues, and should i just replace them all together? My brother drives a dodge and he received a recall notice sometime ago regarding a starter wire maybe, something like that. Being they are one in the same, should i look into that?