Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 pt wont start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Nov 2009, 06:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 02 pt wont start

still working on starting problem. i have fuel pressure. iv retreved a code its p0340 witch comes up as a cam position sensor. iv changed the sensor and it still wont start. dose any one have the test procedures for the cam sensor.
Old 01 Nov 2009, 08:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 02 pt wont start

Sorry to hear your having trouble.

P0340 is the "cam position sensor". It's working as designed. Basically the car is telling you the camshaft is not moving (either at all or not the way it should be). It is possible that the wires have frayed, search a bit and you'll find a couple cases of that.

How many miles on the car?

Hope this isn't a death knell for ya, but in my wifes 2001 base model, the P0340 was the only indication her timing belt had broken. It was throwing the code because the camshaft wasn't turning, because the timing belt had broken.

The CPS is a hall-effect sensor, it senses a magnet on the end of the cam as it goes by. Your code indicates that it isn't sensing that. If you've replaced the sensor, its time to see if the cams are moving.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Had a problem with my 02 not starting. The battery was fine, but when I hit the ignition, I only got a click... Took off the ginormous air cleaner and noticed the box that contained the relays (at the time, I was guessing it was the box containing the relays) Used the legend to find the ignition and starter relays,
and (at the tip of my mechanical game) tapped them a bit with my screwdriver... Starts every time now!!!
Old 19 Jun 2010, 10:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

It's most likely the belt if your around 100k sometimes that's the code you get.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson