PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Transmission Slipping-Told I need a new one for 4K..help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 2009, 03:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Slipping-Told I need a new one for 4K..help!

Hi,

2 months ago I purchased a 2002 PT Cruiser Dream Edition with 73,000 miles. Prior to purchase I had a full vehicle inspection done. Besides needing a new battery, It got a clean report. This morning the automatic transmission started slipping in the low gears. I drove it to my mechanic, the check engine light came on along the way. The report is not good. The mechanic explained that the computer came up with all kinds of error codes referencing the transmission and I would need to replace it. He quoted my $4000 for a re manufactured transmission with a 3 year warranty. I called my local Chrysler dealer and they recommended bringing it in for a diagnostic and said a new transmission from them would be about $3000. I have never had a problem like this before and I am totally lost.. I don't have even the $3000 to fix this car I just paid cash for, 2 months ago.

I would appreciate any suggestions or help that can be offered. Thank you!
Old 02 Nov 2009, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Slipping-Told I need a new one for 4K..help!

Take it to the dealer, let them check it out and give you a estimate. It may be able to be rebuilt for less than $3,000. I had a 2002 that the transmission went out. I had a Chrysler extended warranty that covered the repair except for the $100.00 deductible. I have no idea what the total price would have been, but I know it would have been warranted for 12 months.

Good Luck and let us know the results.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Nov 2009, 05:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

I have a 2002 tranny from a pt cruiser limited 4 speed is your for $500.00
Old 03 Nov 2009, 05:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
This wouldn't be the same mechanic that gave the PT a clean bill of health 2 months ago, would it?
Very starnge that he's a grand higher for a rebuilt than dealer is for new...
I agree w/Hooligan - give dealer a shot - might be clutch packs, not whole tranny.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Nov 2009, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i had mine rebuilt for 11 or 12 hundred...and mine was the planetary gears so it was more than just slipping...it was gone...a buddy and i did the pull and install and we had it rebuilt by a local tranny guy...and only use fullsynthetic fluid in these trannys.
Old 03 Nov 2009, 05:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

My two cents worth.
Have the dealer check it and at least see if it can be repaired without a total rebuild.
I agree that $3-4K is a lot to spend on a 7 year old car. You may want to consider a used transmission.
Old 04 Nov 2009, 08:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Got the report from the dealer and the news is much better. They said the transmission does not need to be replaced. I need the valve body and 2 internal sensors replaced along with a transmission flush. The price they quoted me is $330 labor, $520 parts, and $180 for the flush. Does this sound like it could be the problem and does the price sound reasonable?

Thanks for all of your input!
Old 04 Nov 2009, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolbin View Post
Got the report from the dealer and the news is much better. They said the transmission does not need to be replaced. I need the valve body and 2 internal sensors replaced along with a transmission flush. The price they quoted me is $330 labor, $520 parts, and $180 for the flush. Does this sound like it could be the problem and does the price sound reasonable?

Thanks for all of your input!
It is reasonable - I paid close to $200 for a flush - not at a dealer.
Be glad - they could hit you with a new transmission - sounds good to me.
Old 04 Nov 2009, 12:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey buddy gt transmission for 500 like new bought car 2007 was hit rear pic eveything my #706-313-9538 how far are u if close i can put it in too call me