Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

'05 making noise by front tire at slow speeds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2009, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '05 making noise by front tire at slow speeds

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4-Door Touring Edition - Automatic - 62,500 miles

A couple weeks ago my car started making some odd noises. It's hard to describe - at first I thought something was stuck up under the tire well - like a piece of paper or plastic garbage bag. It's a clicking/dragging sound that seems to come from the front driver side of the car near the tires. It only happens at speeds under 30mph (but more under 20mph) and it goes faster or slower depending on my speed.

Chhht - chhht - chhht - chhht <~~ the best way I can spell it.

It doesn't happen all the time and I've noticed it seems to happen when the weather is warmer (like in the afternoon when I go to lunch) or after I get off the highway after driving for 45 minutes or so. For instance, on Sunday, I went to run an errand at 3pm and it was quite warm that day (in the 80's) and the car made the noise right away. Later at 6pm when it was cooler it didn't make the noise at all.

Also - when it does decide to make that noise it doesn't matter if I am breaking, accelerating or coasting. It also seems to stop when I am making a sharp turn.

Boyfriend checked for anything stuck up under the tires and found nothing. He checked the engine for anything loose and didn't find anything loose. I tried to drive him around to let him hear it but, of course, I've only seen him at night and in cooler weather lately so the car's not done it in front of him yet.

Any help is appreciated!! (taking to the mechanic tomorrow or the next day)
Old 04 Nov 2009, 05:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '05 making noise by front tire at slow speeds

My hunch would've been brakes, but you say it doesn't change when braking?
Does your PT have hubcaps? On other cars, I've had a poorly seated hubcap make noise. Whack the hubcap with the palm of your hand all around (or a rubber mallet) and tighten the plastic bolts.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Nov 2009, 08:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

I would have thought brakes, too. But, yes, it makes noise regardless of if I am using the brakes and doesn't get louder or quieter if I'm using brakes, accelerating or just coasting.

A conundrum!

No hubcaps either!
Old 04 Nov 2009, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Drive the car on ramps and inspect the rubber boots on the drive axles.... could be they are your culprit. Make sure the rubber isn't loose or torn.
Yes, an enigma...

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 04 Nov 2009 at 10:35 am.
Old 04 Nov 2009, 01:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

I had a wierd one like this many years ago. It turned out to be the tire itself. The noise changed from a chht noise to almost a creak when going real slow. You can push the car in neutral with the engine off to hear it better.
Old 04 Nov 2009, 06:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have the same noise in the drivers side front of my 05 convert, sounds like something is whirring around, it doesn't match the speed of the car or the engine. It sound like somehing hs been picked up by the drive shaft and can be heard at various times. I have 48K miles on my car.

I know it isn't a hub cap related sound because my car has cast wheels.
Old 04 Nov 2009, 06:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Possible causes:
1. Lousy brand of tire.
2. Damaged tire starting to separate. Get on top of this right away. Did you hit a curb recently?
3. Loose wheel cover or wheel cover nut. (This would stop at 30+ MPH due to centrifugal force.)
4. As mentioned above, damaged CV joint boot. How many miles on car?
Old 04 Nov 2009, 06:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hmmm - I hope it's not the tires. They are relatively new (almost a year old) - but they are not a great brand, that's true. I'd expect them to last more than 12,000!

Matt - car has 62,500 miles on it. Pretty average for an '05, I think.

I'll bring all of these points up to the mechanic. Maybe a good starting point for him.
Old 04 Nov 2009, 06:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Or maybe I do hope it's the tires! That would be a relatively easy fix! HAHA!
Old 06 Nov 2009, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tires come with a warranty? Most have something, but they always "pro-rate" and doesn't seem to help much...