Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C noise when idling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2009, 09:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation A/C noise when idling

Hi, I have a '02 base model. I am having an issue with a "dull rattling" noise in cabin that appears to be my A/C.

Few facts:

1. It only happens when I'm idling with the A/C on.
2. When I turn off the A/C and am still idling the noise goes away.
3. When I accelerate with the A/C ON the noise goes away.
4. A/C is blowing cold otherwise
5. I am NOT having any problems with misfires or low RPMs when idling with A/C ON
6. I DO need to have my motor mounts replaced soon. Could this be a cause? If so why would it only happen with A/C on????

any thoughts here?
Old 05 Nov 2009, 11:13 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY
Default Re: A/C noise when idling

I fairly confident you have the same problem as I do. I actually made a thread about it yesterday. However, I dont think its much of a problem. Most PTs dont have cabin air filters, so debris could get up in the ventilation system (leaves and such, it is fall time..). My take on it is that we have debris partially blocking the air passage to the blower motor. I say this because the blower motor seems to be working fine, and all speeds work correctly.

I dont know if its the same for you, but at higher speeds I get a low frequency hum almost, sounds like a fan.

To further prove the debris theory, the air stream seems to be a little weak.

Im currently trying to figure out how to get to the blower motor to see if there actually are debris blocking the way. I have read that it is behind the glovebox (looks like it may be at the lower left corner just above the carpet), but everything is enclosed behind the glovebox and its pretty tight.

Anybody know how to access the blower motor?

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 05 Nov 2009, 11:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DIYPTGUY

Wait, so it doesn't make any noise when the heat is on?

My Love:
02' Gold PT Cruiser Touring: Pioneer DEH-P4000UB Reciever, Self built subwoofer enclosure w/pioneer TS-SW841D subs, Summit Turbo Muffler, Spectre Modular Air Intake, underseat neon lights, subwoofer neon strip lights, Intake Manifold Paint, exterior chrome trim, steering wheel cover.
Old 05 Nov 2009, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I live in South Fla, when I want the heat on I roll down my windows, just happens when I''m idling with cold a/c on. i will check later