Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hole In Radiator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2009, 11:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hole In Radiator

Anybody have a suggestion on who would have the best price for a radiator, after smelling a light sent of antifreeze on start up each morning I took it in and had it checked for leaks. Well there is this ever so small seem crack in the upper right section of the radiator and while it is only a small ooze its just going to get worse I'm sure once it finally starts getting much colder in the morning because of the expanding and contraction of cold to warm and back to cold the hole is just going to get larger.

Should I put some stop leak in it for now , money is a little funny right now and if I could put this off for probably 30 days it would make resolving it better
Old 05 Nov 2009, 02:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Hole In Radiator

There is this 'magic' stuff called epoxy putty. You can get at hardware and auto parts stores. I'm sure it is not recommended for such a fix but I have had some success with it on small radiator tank leaks.
Assuming that access to the leak is good you would have to make sure the area is clean so the putty will stick.
Old 05 Nov 2009, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb15 View Post
There is this 'magic' stuff called epoxy putty. You can get at hardware and auto parts stores. I'm sure it is not recommended for such a fix but I have had some success with it on small radiator tank leaks.
Assuming that access to the leak is good you would have to make sure the area is clean so the putty will stick.
Thanks for the tip
Old 05 Nov 2009, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have seen "Seal-All Glue" seal a leaking gas tank. They just wiped the leaking gas off and slapped the glue on. No more leak.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Nov 2009, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb15 View Post
Tried the putty thing it held about 3 days but the pressure finally punch through it.

I ended up replacing the radiator, glad I did it had signs of other cracks just waiting to open, in doing so I went on and replaced both the lower and upper hoses & the fan even though it was working its 9 years old and I was NOT going to be doing this again no time soon

$3000+ for repairs so far and growing Oh well NO monthly payment though.

Last edited by h100250; 10 Nov 2009 at 03:10 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 03:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

MY 2003 PT( now 76K developed same leak over 6months ago at 68K or so. I put in 1/3 can of bars leak-pellots,, so far so good,,,read their site( alot of manufacturers add it when cars are new-- worth a $4.00shot.. good luck MJB
Old 10 Nov 2009, 05:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

On older rigs I've used the Bar's and it worked great for many a mile. But they were cast iron blocks so check the label. I've also had the shop 're-core' a couple of radiators and it worked many a mile and wasn't expensive. The third option is a junk yard.

Anything to avoid paying for new... Cheap Charlie

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901