PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Nothing working on instrument cluster

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2009, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Nothing working on instrument cluster

I have been searching for some time but can't find the source to my problem here or on the car itself.

Have had no issues with the cluster at all until today, nothing on the cluster at all. No lights no working gauges, nothing - not even the odometer when yo open the door.

I can't find any good threads about this issue either. I checked the fuses and all seem fine, I haven't pulled the cluster out to look further - why is my cluster all of a sudden completely dead?

2002 PT Cruiser Limited
Old 05 Nov 2009, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Nothing working on instrument cluster

Figured it out.

The terminal that goes into the fuse for the interior lights had fallen out of the socket. I bent the tab back out a bit more and put it back in, reinstalled fuse and I have a cluster again.
Old 05 Nov 2009, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know why the terminal for the interior lights would mess up your cluster (unless it was shorting everything out) but glad you figured it out.
Old 06 Nov 2009, 07:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes which is why I wasn't looking tat that either however after I was already to take the dash apart I noticed there was no interior lights.

There is the interior light fuse and the instrument cluster fuse, both fuses checked out OK, however there was no power at the interior light fuse. When I removed the fuse box I could see the feed wire for the interior light fuse out too far. I don't have the electrical schematics fore this car so I don't know the paths, however somewhere the bus to the IC is tied to this line.
Old 06 Nov 2009, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Wow, you saved yourself a bundle - imagine what dealer would've charged.
I haven't heard of a problem like yours - so thanks for posting the cure.

My guess would've been ignition switch.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Nov 2009, 12:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It probably would have never hit the dealer anyway, I don't think I have ever taken a car in. Yeah it was a strange issue, I was prepared to dissasemble the cluster and start doing some real troubleshooting, luckily I noticed the otehr issues which led me down teh right path.
Old 16 May 2011, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just ran into the same problem with my 2002 Cruiser. I went to start it up this morning and nothing on the cluster works including my interior lights (cluster lights, temperature lights nor dome light). I tore apart the dash and all connections were fine. There isn't a problem with any fuse. My fog light indicator does light up when I turn them on but that is the only thing. Any thoughts or ideas? I will try pulling the fuse block and checking the wires in the back as well.
wingman55 likes this.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 08:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: Nothing working on instrument cluster

Thank God I found these answers! I'm having the same issue with my 02. Now my question is where will I find the aforementioned terminal so I can fix it? I've only had her 2000 miles and have had no other issues with her. Sounds easy enough so I feel that I should be capable. Im not afraid of getting dirty or breaking a nail. Thanks in advance for any and all answers
Old 23 Jul 2014, 05:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Nothing working on instrument cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybuggy View Post
Now my question is where will I find the aforementioned terminal so I can fix it?
It should be located behind the fuse block,behind fuse terminal #10 in the photo(10A-CUSTER/RKE SKIM).
Old 24 Jul 2014, 07:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had figured that out.. Opened everything up, didnt see or feel anything loose. Pulled out fuses 10 and 13 put them back in, started her up and everything was back to normal. Sure was much better then going to a garage! Still dont kno what happened but shes all good again. Thanks for the reply!
wingman55 likes this.