Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
0340 cleared now 0344?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2009, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 0340 cleared now 0344?

Hi guys! Last week, I was happily driving to work in my 05 Cruiser (I'm assuming it's a base model, as it has little in the way of extras) and the check engine light came on. Then the bucking started (along with the tears) and I pulled over. My friend came with her AAA to rescue my pitiful self and towed the car to a mechanic in the free tow range that she uses and gets great reviews. We got there just as they were closing (of course!) and they said they would look at it upon open on Monday.

I came home, scared and anxious and googled and found you guys! I learned about the key dance (which did me no good at that point) and correctly guessed it would be 0340. My guy replaced the cam shaft sensor and I got away at just under $200 - he had told me I could do it myself, but I couldn't find the right part so just had him do it.

Today, at almost the exact same time as last Friday, the light and bucking returned. I checked the code and now it is a 0344. I very carefully and slowly drove the car to his shop again so it can once more sit until Monday. The good news is if it is the same thing or related, he will do it for free or lower cost. The bad news is that even reading more here and other sites, I'm confused as to what the next step should be, other than making sure he checks the wires.

In another thread someone said the crankshaft sensor is usually replaced at the same time? But in other related threads, I did not see this advice repeated... Also, some have mentioned dealers covering it but I'm not sure if this applies to me since I got mine used from a non-Chrysler dealership? I know they still sent me a letter asking if I wanted to extend the warranty after it ended at 70k miles, but I had already passed the mileage and declined (also because I have read most times it's not worth it to re-up - I am rethinking this now, haha).

Please offer me any insight you can - I have three years of payments to make on this thing if it runs or not! Thank you all so, so much!
Old 06 Nov 2009, 10:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 0340 cleared now 0344?

Welcome to the Forum. Some owners have replaced their sensors with aftermarket ones. Many times they do NOT seem to hold up. When they are replaced with Chrysler sensors, no more problems. We highly suggest using OEM sensors when they are called for to replace. They cost more, but they work!!! Good Luck!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Nov 2009, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Would that cause it to throw the new code? Wouldn't it be 0340 again if it was the sensor failing so soon?

I'm sorry if this is more common knowledge, I've always had Japanese cars before and none of them ever gave me this particular problem. Thanks again!
Old 08 Nov 2009, 08:04 am
Young Cruiser

The PO344 code means cam position sensor circuit intermittent. So it's detecting a sensor that is not working properly vs a hard failed sensor. Note that this could also be caused by a wiring harness problem.

Last edited by pdbrains; 08 Nov 2009 at 08:06 am. Reason: clarify message
Old 08 Nov 2009, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbrains View Post
The PO344 code means cam position sensor circuit intermittent. So it's detecting a sensor that is not working properly vs a hard failed sensor. Note that this could also be caused by a wiring harness problem.
Again, was a aftermarket sensor used???

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Nov 2009, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just a thought from somebody that doesn't know much....

But double check the electrical connections before you give up on the sensor...

Check the cheap stuff first!

-TH
Old 08 Nov 2009, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Again, was a aftermarket sensor used???
I'm not too sure, it was the one the mechanic got. I am guessing probably since there's not really any Chrysler dealerships around here any more. Should I try to locate one to get a different sensor or see what he finds or both?
Old 08 Nov 2009, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thender View Post
Just a thought from somebody that doesn't know much....

But double check the electrical connections before you give up on the sensor...

Check the cheap stuff first!

-TH
Definitely plan on making sure he checks out the connections!
Old 08 Nov 2009, 05:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

TEMP--- How many miles on your PT? did you buy it new? Do you usually get in serviced at dealer? Reason Im asking these questions is that my '03 PT with 73k at the time just had both sensors replaced for $100.0( the do recommend doing them in pairs) I dont know why,,,, but Chrysler ate the rest--- ( I think they know there is an issue with them & actually may fall under the federal exhaust system law) contact Chrysler.. good luck,,MJB ** I dont have anything but the standard warranty 7-70K* which was expired)
Old 08 Nov 2009, 06:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
TEMP--- How many miles on your PT? did you buy it new? Do you usually get in serviced at dealer? Reason Im asking these questions is that my '03 PT with 73k at the time just had both sensors replaced for $100.0( the do recommend doing them in pairs) I dont know why,,,, but Chrysler ate the rest--- ( I think they know there is an issue with them & actually may fall under the federal exhaust system law) contact Chrysler.. good luck,,MJB ** I dont have anything but the standard warranty 7-70K* which was expired)
I think she has about 78k, I did not get her new. I haven't had her serviced yet because I just got her in March. My husband did her oil and air the 2x between then and now. I guess I should try to find a dealership tomorrow and give them a call and see if there's anything they can do. Do you think I should call my guy in the AM and tell him to hold off until I talk to them?

Thanks again!

Tags
0340, 0344, bucking, check engine light