PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Burning 1 Qt. oil every 2K on '06 w/ 37K????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2009, 11:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Burning 1 Qt. oil every 2K on '06 w/ 37K????

2006 PT - 37K - auto.
Today, during a 60 mile trip I had the vent air on and a slight odor of burning oil could be smelled. After a few hours I went back out and afte a brief idle the oil press. indicator light came on. No oil leaks on the ground and it was to dark to look over the motor. No exhaust fumes seen or smelled. I checked the oil and it was clean but a quart low (just below cross hatches) Tough to believe with only 37K on the motor I'm burning oil....Just did oil change 2K ago w/ 5W-30. Never had a car below 100K ever burn/use oil. My '66 Cuda doesn't use any oil at its modified w/ almost 120K. I use 20W-50 in her and I know 5W-30 is reccommended because of the tight tolerances but I'm thinking of adding a qt. of 20W-50 to slow the burn. What do you guys think?

66CUDA
Old 08 Nov 2009, 05:38 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Burning 1 Qt. oil every 2K on '06 w/ 37K????

I've been known to add 10-30 to a 5-30 mix to thicken it up enough but not too much. Are you in a cold place or a warm place? Winter coming on, it might matter.

Also had another thought: did you change the oil or did you have someone change it for you? Sometimes, at the quick change places, they skimp, which wouldn't solve your immediate problem, but it would let you know to keep a closer eye on it.

Last thought: (maybe) When it's daylight, go look at the back of the valve cover/header join where the bolts are. If there's a leak that's not making it to the ground, and you can smell it through the a/c, this is where I'd look first.
Old 08 Nov 2009, 08:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Yeah winter is coming....temp. is in the 50's - low 60's....I've been changing my own oil for the last 20yrs. Wierd thing is the oil press. light came on idling about 1000 miles ago when I parked it i my driveway which has a bit of an incline. Checked it then on a level ground and it was fine. Will check under the hood in a bit.

66CUDA
Old 09 Nov 2009, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You obviously have a leak that is buring off oil on the outside - not inside the engine. If it were inside the engine, you wouldn't smell it in the vent.
How long have you had the PT? Did it just start losing oil?
Look for a leak.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Nov 2009, 02:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have to agree. No way should you smell any oil. As far as heavier oil, I'd be curious to see if it changes your fuel economy. That's one of the main reasons everyone has gone to the lighter weight oils.
Old 09 Nov 2009, 02:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You obviously have a leak that is buring off oil on the outside - not inside the engine. If it were inside the engine, you wouldn't smell it in the vent.
How long have you had the PT? Did it just start losing oil?
Look for a leak.
The smell is faint and intermittent....Yes, this is the first time I noticed it was low. I've owned my PT for 5 mos. as a second car. Bought it w/ 31K, now 37.5K an its on its 3rd oil change. I added a qt. of 20W-50. I'm letting my wife drive it to work for the next couple of weeks. I am going to try and drive her a 1000 miles in that period and check the oil level again. When I get a chance I will check underneath. No leaks felt/seen between valve cover and head. Nor any leaks viewed from topside of engine.

66CUDA
Old 09 Nov 2009, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I add a quart of Lucuas Oil treatment at every oil change its a lot like the old school STP but is suposed to be good for the inside of the motor soulds like oil is getting on the exhust some way and burning off
Old 09 Nov 2009, 10:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Burning 1 Qt. oil every 2K on '06 w/ 37K????

Back to the stealer for service!!!
(I hope it's still has awrranty coverage)
I have two 2006s, and neither use a drop of oil between changes.
The turbo only has 16K; but soonercruiser just went past 42K.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 10 Nov 2009, 02:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Back to the stealer for service!!!
(I hope it's still has awrranty coverage)
I have two 2006s, and neither use a drop of oil between changes.
The turbo only has 16K; but soonercruiser just went past 42K.
Oh NO!!!! Only go to stealership when I have warranty repair. '06 warranty is the only year it was 3yr/36K. Had I known the warranty was that low, I would of found a used '05 or '07.

66CUDA
Old 15 Nov 2009, 08:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

I think my problems are with my oil pressure switch. When I finally looked underneath my car I found an oil leak right below the oil press. switch and coincidentially my oil indicator light was coming on intermittedly. When I removed it turned freely and had some oil on the bottom of it. If there was a leak above the switch it would of ran down on top of the switch not just the bottom. Hopefully, "I killed two birds with one stone" by replacing the oil pressure switch. Keep ya posted.

66CUDA