PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OBD Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2009, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default OBD Problem

Hi,

I have a 2001 PT and recently failed inspection because there was no communication between the computer and the OBD. I've taken it to 3 repair shops and they've all taken one look at the problem and said they couldn't fix it. The last one said this is a problem for the dealer. I know it has to do with a loose fuse connection and I don't want to get hit with a heavy bill by the dealer. Any help/suggestion will be really appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11 Nov 2009, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: OBD Problem

Welcome.
I suspect it's because when they plug in, they don't get anything.
I don't think it's a fuse, or else your car would run like crap - I suspect wiring - did you see where they were plugging in under dash? Lay on you back and follow the wiring and look for where there may be a problem...
Sounds nasty...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Nov 2009, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll check it out. Thanks. Just wondering, how much do you think a job like this can set me back with a dealer.
Old 11 Nov 2009, 01:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabog View Post
I'll check it out. Thanks. Just wondering, how much do you think a job like this can set me back with a dealer.
Depends on greed of dealer and luck. If they find it right away, could be cheap.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I took it to a dealer who "reset" the computer and asked me to drive for 3 days. I took it back after 3 days and still no communication. Actually according to him, they can establish communication with their own chrysler computer but not with a generic which is what the motor vehicle would have. So he's recommending changing the pcm (he says the one I have is remanufactured though it is mopar). He quoted almost $800.

Is anyone aware of this kind of problem ie communication with chrysler diagnostics but not with generic. Could it still be a wiring problem not a pcm problem? I have found much cheaper pcm but I'm skeptical to buy without being absolutely certain that's the problem.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Many auto part stores like AdvanceAuto will plug in for free - try one of them and see if they can "read".

I always assume a dealer is lying until I have evidence to the contrary. I would think if your PCM was bad, you'd have bigger problems.
I have not read of any problem like yours...
Old 20 Nov 2009, 11:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

I've taken it to the Auto parts store and other mechanics and had same problem. You're right though, it seems curious that I have no other problems. I'm currently working on a theory that the connector is bad. I believe the dealer connects their computer using a connector with fewer pins. My guess is that generic computers have to connect to everything.

I have checked out the connector and it does look busted. Now I can't seem to find a replacement in any store. Do you know where I can find a wiring diagram for this? I might have to try and fix this myself.

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate them.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 12:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It would almost certainly be either connector or wiring to connector.
If it were me, I'd contact this fellow, and get another connector - have him leave plenty of wire off it....
Parting a 2001 PT Touring
Old 20 Nov 2009, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's another one to try:
Parting out my o1 pt cruiser

Tags
communication, dealer, inspection, obd