Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Died while driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2009, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Died while driving

I have a 2001 pt cruiser I bought used it now has over 125,000 miles not sure if the timing belt has ever been changed. The mechanics have the car in the shop and said they had a error code related to 2 senors which they replaced but the car is still not getting fuel. They told me its not the timing belt because it is getting compression but not fuel? I did replace the starter myself about a month ago and it ran fine until it just died. I told them I saw something on this forum that it might be some harness by the starter that can get unplugged or get shorted out so I am waiting to hear back. So far they think it might be the main computer but others have told me that if it was the case you would have alot more troubles then just no spark? They want me to take it to the dealership which to me means the end of my PT Cruiser ... I cant afford $1000 charge just paid $400 for a sticker and so far up to $200 for 2 sensors and the garage trying to figure out whats wrong... that bad part is I still owe like $3000 on the car can you say upside down.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Died while driving

Welcome.
Timing belt doesn't always break, it can stretch and jump a tooth or more and louse up everything, but there would still be compression.
I'll bet one of the codes was Camshaft sensor? That usually goes with timing belt.
How many miles were on it when you bought it? If it was under 100,00, I'm betting belt wasn't changed, as prior owner was not likely to do it, then sell the car....
The bad news is that timing belt isn't cheap - prices vary a LOT, and mechanic is nearly always cheaper than a dealer, who gets up to $1,200 for it.
I've seen as low as $450 for a mechanic to do belt.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Aug 2013, 08:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Craig1967
Default Re: 2001 Died while driving

We had our 2001 PTC timing belt changed and it cost $950. The shop didn't even do an oil change but they did manage to charge us $47 per gallon for two gallons of anti-freeze/coolant. I was fairly well upset and quit taking the car there.

They had previously charged us $693 to change the cam and crank sensors only to find out it was a "pinched wire" down near the steering column. 17 months later the cam sensor went out and when I called about the warranty I was advised they had only gotten the one-year warranty because it was "cheaper" on us. So I called about the part and the price difference was $4. They charged us $115 for a cam sensor that they paid $36 for with a one-year warranty, when they could have gotten a lifetime warrantied part for $40.

Not only did we quit using them, I also wrote a steaming letter to the editor of our local newspapers (both of which printed it) and spammed FB groups in our area about them. Needless to say their scams cost them alot of money when our locals quit using them for repairs.

Bottom line is get two estimates and find you a local mechanic to do your work.
Old 07 Aug 2013, 11:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: 2001 Died while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by compguy View Post
I told them I saw something on this forum that it might be some harness by the starter that can get unplugged or get shorted out so I am waiting to hear back.
I believe you are referring to the Camshaft Position Sensor(CPS) and the Crankshaft Position Sensor(CKS)....The common problem with the CPS is,sometimes the wiring harness gets sandwiched between the coolant hoses which become HOT,and it causes a breakdown of the wiring loom or the actual wires,to where they can become brittle and break,also causing a loss of resistance.....The common problem that can happen with the CKS is it can drop down and end up touching the driveaxle,which causes it to wear down and eventually cause crossing of the wiring or a short......The solution to eliminate both problems is to check BOTH harnesses wiring from 'END-TO-END'(especially behind the engine!),and look for any breaks in the wiring.