Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas guzzler!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2009, 12:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Gas guzzler!

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser, base model(non-turbo). I just changed the spark plugs, wires were fine, and there was no check engine light on indicating a problem. Oil is changed religiously every 3K miles. Tires are fine. I'm only getting 21 mpg.
What could be the problem? Is there a gas filter in this car?
Old 12 Nov 2009, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gas guzzler!

The filter is in the tank---a huge pain to change

Now the "OTHER" news that's all you are gonna get

sorry but it is a 3000#+ car it is not shaped to cut through the wind

im guessing being a non turbo it is a auto???

some will say they get 28-30 driving in the 50mph range i have never gotten over 23 and i drive a lot so

its a cool looking car that rides great takes a mile and a half to turn and getts middle of the road millage
Old 12 Nov 2009, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

JRZYGIRL, Welcome to the Forum!!

You say, "wires were fine". If they are stock wires "They are CRAP and leak".
We ALWAYS suggest changing wires to anything else but stock wires. I have a 2008 NA and avg 22.9 MPG. Of course, I don't drive much over 65 on the highway.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Nov 2009, 04:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My fiance's 2001 Auto PT gets about 22mpg as well. PTs have a rep for being rather poor on gas mileage.
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
Old 12 Nov 2009, 09:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZYGIRL View Post
I have a 2006 PT Cruiser, base model(non-turbo). I just changed the spark plugs, wires were fine, and there was no check engine light on indicating a problem. Oil is changed religiously every 3K miles. Tires are fine. I'm only getting 21 mpg.
What could be the problem? Is there a gas filter in this car?
Your doing better than me. My tires are the correct size correct pressure. The car has been tuned up new plugs and wires new airfilter and i keep the oil changed 5W30. The oil is so clean you can not see it on the dipstick! And all i get is 19 mpg and my car is a five speed non turbo 2002 base model. So what is wrong? Seems something is. Maybe brake drag. I do not know. I Got rid of a old Licoln Town car i thought oh this five speed four banger has got to get better millage than my old Lincoln Ton Car. Boy was i wrong the Town Car got a average of 21mpg the PT 19mpg!
Old 12 Nov 2009, 10:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Gas guzzler!

jrzygirl
Welcome!
You also are not providing enough info on the PT.
And there is no specific info in your "profile".
Is it a na or turbo?
Manual or auto tranny?
I've got two 2006s myself. I have placed an aftermarket intake on the soonercruiser (non-turbo; with 5-speed manual), and I get around 24 mpg around town. And have gotten 30 mpg on the highway on long trips.
Now, the turbo, the Black Sheep, is a whole other animal. With the OEM airbox and automatic tranny, it only gets around 21 mpg around town; and maybe 25-26 highway!
So, it depends on tranny, type engine, and driving habits!
Be sure to keep the tires inflated to at least 36 #.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 12 Nov 2009, 10:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

I can play Rocky Road Racer in the Ozarks and get around 12-14 and then behave myself and get 20-24 on the hwy at 65-70..01 automatic , stock

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 13 Nov 2009, 03:35 am
Young Cruiser

Maybe it also depends on what you're used to? I've been keeping track for 27 years, so...

72 Chevy Impala, v8, auto, 18 mpg
58 AMC Rambler, L4, auto, 30 mpg ( yeah, whodathunkit?)
82 Honda Civic, L4, manual, 24 mpg
89 Plymouth Sundance, v6, manual, 24 mpg (Favorite, until now)
92 Mazda Protege, L4, auto, 25 mpg
95 Suzuki Esteem, L4, auto, 25 mpg
92 Mercury Cougar, v6, auto, 16 mpg (boat-car)
89 Dodge Daytona, L4, auto, 18 mpg (fun, but fragile)
02 Hyundai Sonata, L4, auto, 22 mpg

20mpg doesn't seem so bad to me.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 08:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
JRZYGIRL, Welcome to the Forum!!

You say, "wires were fine". If they are stock wires "They are CRAP and leak".
We ALWAYS suggest changing wires to anything else but stock wires. I have a 2008 NA and avg 22.9 MPG. Of course, I don't drive much over 65 on the highway.
YUP. Stock wires are garbage. What were plugs gapped at? Should be 0.040.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Nov 2009, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm getting 17mpg on average during the school year, 21 mpg when schools out (sitting in pick up line). On the highway I've gotten as good as 28mpg on long trips. Depends totally on how much I put my foot in it. With the turbo and a 5-speed Getrag, I'm in it all the time. I'd bet I could average 23 or 24 in the city if I drove like a human....

CHEAP SUGGESTIONS TO HELP INCREASE YOUR MPG:

#1 fuel mileage killer = funky/dirty/ragged air filter. Get you a good K&N drop-in filter (see Here), read the instructions on oiling it properly (don't have it dripping wet!), and install that. I got right at 2.5mpg on average with my K&N, you might see different. If you're really wanting to add some oomph along with that mpg boost, go to PTCrew.com and look in the mod bible for the instructions on how to open up your intake by modifying your airbox. I posted on specific to the 2006, your's will be slightly different as you've got the NA version and mine's a turbo ( go Here ). For more info on the air filter, go Here. Yes, it's expensive, but mine's lasted three years and is fabulous!

#2 fuel mileage killer = funky/dirty/ragged oil & filter. Before you change your oil, get you a very good quality injector cleaner and run it through your system. I would suggest getting a can of SeaFoam engine cleaner, see pic below. Now, before you add it, you need to be sure you're ready within a couple of days to change your oil. What you want to do is fill up, add 2/3rds of the can to your gas, and the final third to your oil. Simply dump it in. You need to be able to drive a pretty good distance as you want to get the oil really moving through the system, and really heated up. I suggest doing this on a Saturday morning then take an hours drive, if not longer, and once you've done that go straight to a place to get your oil changed. Clumps are likely to come out...eeeuuuwww. Make sure they use good grade dinosaur oil, or go synthetic! Make damn sure they change the filter, many places are ripping people off by dumping the oil and leaving the filter. I climb under my car and mark my oil filter with a sharpie to make sure it gets changed.

One last suggestion, for both added oomph and a small boost in mpg, is to install a Throttle Body Spacer. These can be found on ebay, but I'd be very wary of them. Most of them don't look like the one's sold by Race and Street, who I take as my subject matter experts on stuff like this. If you do order one from Maggie at R&S, make sure you explain specifically your motor type, year and model of PT so you get the right thing.

If you do these things you should see a fairly decent improvement in fuel mileage, along with a small (5 to 10 hp) boost in horsepower and torque.

Last edited by Chromenut; 13 Nov 2009 at 10:46 am.