Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Seized Caliper - Common Problem?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2009, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Seized Caliper - Common Problem?

I'm new to the forums and I have the task of maintaining my fiance's 2001 PT Cruiser. Normally it's a pretty reliable car, but it has a recurring problem with the passenger rear caliper seizing up. It was was changed once before by the dealer and I personally changed it less than a year ago and it's seized again. She has an automatic and never uses her ebrake for anything so I would doubt it's related to the ebrake.

Is this a common issue in PTs?
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
Old 12 Nov 2009, 05:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Seized Caliper - Common Problem?

iv never heard of it if you put on a new one i dont see why it would seize????
Old 12 Nov 2009, 06:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've never heard of it either and I've been on the forum since the beginning of time. Was all the lines checked for the possible cause? The flexible brake hoses at the wheels connecting to the calipers could be blocked and holding brake fluid in the calipers which would keep the brakes applied.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 07:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've had it happen twice before over the years on two other vehicles. As you drive the fluid heats and expands and applies pressure to the rotor... gets really hot! Something (dust? dirt?) was not allowing the piston to return freely. There was never any sign of fluid leakage at the caliper. But a new caliper always fixed the issue.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 12 Nov 2009, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I've never heard of it either and I've been on the forum since the beginning of time. Was all the lines checked for the possible cause? The flexible brake hoses at the wheels connecting to the calipers could be blocked and holding brake fluid in the calipers which would keep the brakes applied.
I bled the brakes when I put on the acliper so I know the lines were open at least on that one day.

I'll tray a new brake line as well this time to see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdynaco View Post
I've had it happen twice before over the years on two other vehicles. As you drive the fluid heats and expands and applies pressure to the rotor... gets really hot! Something (dust? dirt?) was not allowing the piston to return freely. There was never any sign of fluid leakage at the caliper. But a new caliper always fixed the issue.
So once you replaced the caliper it never came back again?
Old 12 Nov 2009, 11:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

piston or slides ??

If it is the line swelling on the inside and blocking the piston from returning just open the bleed screw and it should release..change the line..GM truck chassis were bad about that..

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas
Old 13 Nov 2009, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsidders View Post
piston or slides ??

If it is the line swelling on the inside and blocking the piston from returning just open the bleed screw and it should release..change the line..GM truck chassis were bad about that..
Find the cause. Does the slide hang up, or the piston?

Certainly NOT common on PTs - I haven't heard of any other.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Nov 2009, 09:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Since they've been new calipers each time I would assume the slide and piston would be in good shape. I might be able to take a look at it this weekend, I have a motor swap to do on another car, but that should be done on Saturday.

I'll report back with what I find. Probably gonna go the junkyard route on the caliper this time.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 12:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppwdn View Post
So once you replaced the caliper it never came back again?
When it happened on my pick-up it took me a bit to figure it out. Once I did and replaced the caliper I did not have any further problems.
Fast forward some years on another car. This one I took to a western tire chain and had them do the brakes. First time I ever paid for a brake job.
Part of what they require in order to put their warranty on, is to automatically replace calipers (reconditioned). A month or so later, the problem flared up and I knew what it was. I took it in and told them and they looked cross eyed at me and 'checked it'. Said it was fine, must have been a small rock. LOL
I drive home and problem still there. Went back in and told them 'just change the caliper and it will fix it'. Finally they agreed. Never had any further problem.
Moral of the story... sometimes you get a bad 'new' or 'reconditioned' part.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 13 Nov 2009, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll be replacing this one with a junkyard special since she can't find her receipt for the one on there now. I'll see how that works.