Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
grinding sound coming from brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2009, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default grinding sound coming from brakes

hello folks im new to the forum and want to thank you guys for all your help..heres the deal,, my wife has a 2002 cruiser she bought new..we had new brakes installed and still have the grinding screatching sound kinda like metal to metal when pads are rubbing rotors, it has made this sound for a long time and the mechanic said everything looked good and it was safe to drive. is there a problem with the cruisers having this problem or could someone tell me what i could look at to see if i can find the problem making this sound i did notice the front wheels is covered with brake dust so id say new pads but even after we replaced them before we still had this sound...your help would greatly be appreciated....
Old 12 Nov 2009, 06:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: grinding sound coming from brakes

Make sure all the parts are on correctly.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks i'll pay close atten: to that part,,i've changed brakes on 100's of cars before but never this cruiser,,does the calipers pistons push in or screw in? anything i need to look out for and take caution to?
Old 12 Nov 2009, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never saw a piston that screwed in, the cruiser pushes in. Most of use a large "C" clamp to push open the piston when putting new pads in.

Also the biggest bit of advise I can give you is to not skimp on the pads and rotors. A few dollars more could save your life. Ceramic pads don't have brake dust, stop well and don't fade nearly as much as cheap pads. There's other good brands out there also. I use Hawk Performance Pads.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok great,,yea i think it was a honda prelude i found out that the piston screws back in the caliper as does the pontiac fiero rear calipers...im gonna give it a shot in the morning i'll let you know how i do
Old 14 Nov 2009, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok i found part of the problem. the front pads were wore slap out. i cleaned both the calipers and all brake parts mounting brackets etc. really good. it stopped the massive grinding sound but in the rear brakes it still makes a real screatching sound not a metal to metal grinding sound but really squeaky sound. any ideas what that could be? it has had this noise for a long long time and the factory checked it and said????? everything looks fine. is this normal for the cruisers?
Old 14 Nov 2009, 06:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost159 View Post
ok i found part of the problem. the front pads were wore slap out. i cleaned both the calipers and all brake parts mounting brackets etc. really good. it stopped the massive grinding sound but in the rear brakes it still makes a real screatching sound not a metal to metal grinding sound but really squeaky sound. any ideas what that could be? it has had this noise for a long long time and the factory checked it and said????? everything looks fine. is this normal for the cruisers?
On my '01 the parking brake cable had rusted and the rear brakes were stuck partially on making a grinding crinkling metal sound.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 14 Nov 2009, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

this cruiser is a 2002 southern car never been out of GA. i also changed the oil and while under the car i inspected it real close, i found no rust at all it still looks brand new under the car..it only has 60k on it ,,parking brake seems fine, i put it in N and pulled the EB up and released it and it rolled freely,,i guess i need to pull the rear hubs off and inspect closely
Old 24 May 2010, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: grinding sound coming from brakes

Wanna know the source of the most annoying sound in the world? (Clip was thinner than paper.) See attached.

New clip, new silence.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaabbbb.jpg (58.2 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by johnnyx; 24 May 2010 at 11:47 am. Reason: pic display