Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lights flickering when brakes applied?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2009, 06:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Lights flickering when brakes applied?

I've been noticing that when I have the light on that when I hit the brakes and the brake lights come on the head lights flicker. Is this just normal or is something else to blame?

Thanks
T
Old 13 Nov 2009, 09:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lights flickering when brakes applied?

There have been many posts about headlight flicker - here and at PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.
Some things:
Battery on it's way out?
Battery cables tight and clean?
Some have found adding ground cables helped (get pre-made ones at AdvanceAuto, etc, and go from - lug of battery to motor or chassis, or both).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Nov 2009, 03:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

It sounds like you need a new battery. Replacing the battery should solve your problem.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 03:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Battery starts the car fine and seems ok...?
Old 16 Nov 2009, 11:02 am
Regular Cruiser

The battery will start the car OK, when you increase the load on the electrical system, AC, headlights, windshield wipers, radio, etc, the headlights will dim when you press on the brake pedal and the tail lights come on.

My 2001 Vette did the same thing, replacing the battery solved the problem. Your battery is getting weak and will not handle the entire electrical load. Take it to one of the auto stores and ask them to load test the battery, if the battey is losing power, it will show up during the test.

Replacing the battery should solve the problem.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 11:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quicksilvers on the right track. I had the funky flicker too - The biggest effect was to add a 4AWG wire from negative directly to the chassis, drill a new hole, scuff it all up and put a ring terminal and nut/bolt combo in. I.E. increase the wiring to the chassis of the car.

Quote:
Take it to one of the auto stores and ask them to load test the battery, if the battey is losing power, it will show up during the test.
Darn good advice - if its really old and starting to sulfate it's voltage is dipping and bringing down the electrical system with it. Any parts store does these tests for free - part of selling you a battery and all.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 01:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Been going on since the PT came out. Doing a hyperground fixed mine. Can buy a kit or DIY. If DIY use 8ga wire from a stereo shop and gold ring connectors. Pretty easy to do and a lot cheaper than a kit.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 Jan 2015, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to VermontBob

Here's an odd one for ya all....

I didn't get this flicker UNTIL I put a new battery in.

First new battery I put it caused the dash lights, headlights, all lights, radio not to work, etc. Ran a test, & the battery was rated at 540cca, but it was putting out 730cca.

So I reinstalled the old battery, & the problem went away.

Took back the new battery, exchanged it for another new battery. This one didn't cause the pulse, but now I have the flick effect for when I turn on my high beams, or put my foot on the brakes. This battery got tested & the cca is listed at 540cca, but is putting out 800cca.

I'm getting frusterated because the old (& dying) battery it came with there's no flicker, no pulse, nothing out of the ordinary, except it's getting on year 9 & doesn't like to start the PT GT when the weather gets below 10F.

I'm not so sure that adding ground wires to it is going to fix this issue, as it acts like there's a charging issue, except that system's been recently tested & all is ok.

Thoughts on how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Vermont Bob
Old 10 Jan 2015, 10:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would like to help but we need to know what year your PT Cruiser is.
Old 10 Jan 2015, 11:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would like to help but we need to know what year your PT Cruiser is.
Yes, is it an '06 or later or an earlier PT?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles