Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Recommendations for a PT toolkit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2009, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Recommendations for a PT toolkit

I have recently acquired a 2001 PT for use as an extra car.

The more I drive it, the more I like it; I certainly understand how they became so popular.

Now I need to put together a toolkit for the inevitable parking lot/roadside repairs.

Did I read elsewhere that this car is a mix of metric and Imperial fasteners? If so, I presume I'll need both metric and Imperial sockets & wrenches.

Also the usual screw drivers, pliers, crescent wrenches, etc.

Also jumper cables & a flashlight or two, latex gloves, coveralls and red rags.

And tools to remove the battery and wire brushes to clean the terminals.

Any other suggestions? Any oddball wrench sizes that may not be in the typical tool kit?

The car uses a bit of oil so I'll keep a couple quarts in the back. So far it doesn't seem to use coolant, brake fluid or trans fluid so I'm not planning on keeping those on board.

What about spare fuses and/or relays? Overkill?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

-TH
Old 15 Nov 2009, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Recommendations for a PT toolkit

An auto club card and cash. Seriously, most things that go wrong with the PT your not going to carrying with you.

Do you have a history of the car maintenance? What is your current mileage? Anywhere near or over 100K? Has the timing belt been replaced? Was it checked out completely before you bought it. Front end repairs are pretty common.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Nov 2009, 06:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well, you won't need a shovel to dig yourself out of the snow in SoCal but a tire repair kit and a tire pump have come in handy for me on occasion. A coil of tie wire, some rope or cord, a roll of good quality electrical tape, a knife, a few small blocks of wood to place under your jack in soft soil and to chock the wheels, a tape measure (comes in handy at the hardware store), first aid kit, and as a last resort a AAA card to get towed home. If you venture out into the desert...survival gear. Oh, and a trailer to haul all this stuff.
Old 15 Nov 2009, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
An auto club card and cash. Seriously, most things that go wrong with the PT your not going to carrying with you.

Do you have a history of the car maintenance? What is your current mileage? Anywhere near or over 100K? Has the timing belt been replaced? Was it checked out completely before you bought it. Front end repairs are pretty common.
I bought the car from my best friend; at $400 it seemed like a good deal for what I want. It has been reasonably well maintained as it was his daily driver, then his wife's, up until I bought it.

The timing belt has been replaced twice, it is on its third transmission, etc.

Shoudla mentioned that I am an AAA member. I just like to be somewhat prepared for simple/easy stuff, and at least get the car to a shop for a real repair.

I only need it to get me 2 miles from the train station to work and back daily. If it survives six months, I'll be a happy guy.

-TH
Old 15 Nov 2009, 07:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

If I remember from his intro it is closeing in on the 300k range.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 16 Nov 2009, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thender View Post

I only need it to get me 2 miles from the train station to work and back daily.
And you're worried about a tool kit? You can walk 2 miles and pick up anything you need form home!

Flip the seats down and put a bike in the back! (like a life boat).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles