Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
IDEK anymore - HALP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2009, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry IDEK anymore - HALP!

Okay, here is the briefest run down I can give and I hope anyone might have some insight or ideas...

Check engine light came on, was bucking. Got p0340, had well recommended independent shop within tow range change the cam shaft sensor. Ran fine for a week, then the light and bucking came back, this time p0344. Mechanic, having only ever changed the oil on one other PTC, put my old part back on and refunded my money.

Carefully drove it to nearest dealership, was able to avoid bucking by being very even and aware when accelerating. Chrysler put on new, MOPAR sensor, called to say it didn't fix it, said they were confident it was slipped timing. Quoted me $1095 for timing/water pump. Called my regular mechanic who said he could do it for $4-450. Had it towed to him, he pushed it into his service bay before cracking her open to be extra careful based on what the dealership had said.

Said there was a trans code when he read it, but timing lined up perfect, belt was only worn as is normal for 05 w/ 78k miles, small leak in water pump so doing that (and of course, timing) regardless. Put it back together and drove it 5x, never got the light or bucking. Had his dad, the shop owner and head mech, drive it a couple of times - he also had no problems or light. They even asked me to come drive it to see if there was some way I drove it differently; no light, no bucking, no clue. Grateful things seem okay, but now paranoid. Mech said he'd do timing/water and to call/bring it back if it acts up again.

His theory is the trans code was either old and never cleared or when it was bucking, the pcm threw it because of all the jerking. I called the dealership to ask, as they said nothing about trans code, nor was it in any of the laundry list of things they saw/recommended. Agreed it might be old or fluke.

When I drove it to the dealership, I was careful to keep the rpms under about 3k, but that was out of concern in general. Before when she bucked, I did not notice any revving that seemed unusual or out of sync. When I drove her, she accelerated without slippage and all rpms seemed in line with how I was driving at the time, gears all engaged smoothly and normally. My mechanic even said he drove her a little hard trying to make the light/symptoms return, once the first few times of driving her normal resulted in nothing as well. He didn't notice any issues with the tranny then, either.

So, yeah. I know it's a lot - trust me, according to the ridic VIN report, Chrysler found a LOT more they thought she 'needed' that my guy couldn't find any validation in (aside from the water pump leak) and they didn't even open her. I can't imagine what else I would have 'needed' if I had allowed them to crack her. I have three years of payments and can not afford for this car not to last me until then, nor can I afford anything so big ticket as a tranny, rebuilt or otherwise, so if you guys can see ANYTHING here that might be related, please let me know. Also, if there's some way you want even more info, just ask! THANKS AGAIN!
Old 17 Nov 2009, 06:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: IDEK anymore - HALP!

Since you are concerned about your transmission, you should have it flushed.
It requires a flushing machine - not all mechanics have one, so ask. Be sure they use only ATF+4.
If a place drops the pan to change the transmission fluid, it gets less than 1/2 the fluid - a flush gets it all.
should cost under $200 - ask beforehand.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Nov 2009 at 07:13 am.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 09:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Since you are concerned about your transmission, you should have it flushed.
It requires a flushing machine - not all mechanics have one, so ask. Be sure they use only ATF+4.
If a place drops the pan to change the transmission fluid, it gets less than 1/2 the fluid - a flush gets it all.
should cost under $200 - ask beforehand.
I'm only concerned because of the code. She behaves normally and even my mechanic said he can't see/feel anything. He said he checked the trans fluid before and will again when he puts her back together. He also said it's BS that Chrysler says they didn't see it since it is stored until cleared and it came up for him before he even cranked her, which wasn't until after he opened her to check the timing/water/wiring/cam.

I'm so frustrated and confused and paranoid. ;_;
Old 17 Nov 2009, 11:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm just syaing a flush is good preventative maintenance. I had mine flushed at 50,000 miles - and will have it done again at 100,000 miles (I'm at 81,000 now).
I never had an auto problem, and I don't want one...
Old 03 Dec 2009, 12:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

She ran fine since I got her back and then today, guess what? Yeah, p0340 came back. Took it to my mech who looked at it and it was p0340, p0344 and a trans code again. He looked at it (I think he said the battery had a low charge so they were checking the alternator) and cleared it, drove it for like one minute and only p0340 came back. I still have no idea, they're keeping it overnight to check it out better and ordering a MOPAR cam sensor to put in.

But I am seriously at a loss - I don't even know what to think or what to fear next. Has anyone ever had this (or something similar) before?
Old 03 Dec 2009, 07:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check all the wiring from the Cam and Crank sensors. Many owners (including myself) have had the wiring harness go bad from rubbing against part of the engine and wearing thru the outer wrapping of the harness and cutting the wires.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Check all the wiring from the Cam and Crank sensors. Many owners (including myself) have had the wiring harness go bad from rubbing against part of the engine and wearing thru the outer wrapping of the harness and cutting the wires.
My mech, the very first one who looked at her (great guy) and supposedly the crooks at the dealership have all looked at the wiring, and all of them seem to think it's fine. I have read so much about this that I feel like I really should know what else to look for!

Right now my guys have her again and said my battery read as low charge - I haven't had any issues with her starting or acting low on power, so they're going to try that first since I've read and they said sometimes low batts can trigger it over and over. I truly hope it's something so simple...

A lot of the stuff says the dealership esp should be able to diagnose it without throwing parts at the symptoms but my exp with the local one was atrocious. I contact the BBB and since it's been over a week and they haven't responded, I plan on calling corp. Maybe there's another dealership a little further out that isn't full of rude, thieving jerks, so I'll look into that if my guys continue to have trouble.

Thanks again, Crewz!
Old 03 Dec 2009, 03:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've read on other threads about how the wires inside the sensor plugs can deteriorate - seems like the crank sensor is near the exhaust. So if its intermittent, it could be a wire inside the plugs beginning to fail - but not broken completely yet.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 03 Dec 2009, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdynaco View Post
I've read on other threads about how the wires inside the sensor plugs can deteriorate - seems like the crank sensor is near the exhaust. So if its intermittent, it could be a wire inside the plugs beginning to fail - but not broken completely yet.
Hmmm, this is one of the few things I haven't read about in all my research on this dastardly code! I will keep it in mind if it continues.

Apparently, they put a new batt in and she's okay so far, but they're keeping her overnight again so they can test her from a *really* cold start in the morning to make sure (or more sure, I guess, lol) that it's not something that seems right but after longer isn't. They said they're fairly certain it is the problem though since this morning the battery was completely dead.

I don't know whether to be grateful she kept going pretty much fine up until the batt gave up the ghost or to be a little mad she gave me no signs it was going, hahahaha! But it is the og batt from 05, so I am really hopeful that it is just this.

All I know is, next week I AM going to NYC and if I have to use my 4x100 miles AAA tows to get her half way home to Atl and then drive her super carefully the last 481 miles, I will, lol! I AM going to see the city at Christmas and I don't care how! :P
Old 03 Dec 2009, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdynaco View Post
That's something else to think about. We tell everyone to stay away from after market sensors and only buy then from Chrysler direct. It costs a little more but we've heard form numerous owners that had problems with a sensor and changed to a Chrysler (Mopar) part and everything was OK after that.