Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Weird Pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2009, 01:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Weird Pull

Okay. I've been driving my girlfriend's PT Cruiser today because it was in the shop and she took my car. Has anyone else experienced the car pulling one way while accelerating and the opposite way when coasting? When I accelerate, the car pulls to the right. When I take my foot off the gas, it gives a pretty good tug to the left. Is this normal? I've mainly driven rear wheel drive vehicles in the past and have never experienced this with any of those. I'm currently driving a '95 Lumina and it does not do this either. I'm wondering if it's normal for this car to do this.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Weird Pull

Welcome to the Forum. Not normal, I have NO explanation why yours is doing that.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Nov 2009, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Depending on how strong it is, it sounds like Torque steer - all FWD cars have it to varying degrees.
I'm not sure if alignment would vary with speed, but tha could give a pull, too....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Nov 2009, 12:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Depending on how strong it is, it sounds like Torque steer - all FWD cars have it to varying degrees.
I'm not sure if alignment would vary with speed, but tha could give a pull, too....
I was thinking this was probably the reason for it. I've just never really experienced it quite like this. It doesn't really create any issues when you're aware of it. My girlfriend probably isn't even aware of it and she has no issues with it.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 07:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Couple of things you may want to check. The cv joints and the steering rack in the front. Also, check the sway bar ends front and rear.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpt View Post
Couple of things you may want to check. The cv joints and the steering rack in the front. Also, check the sway bar ends front and rear.
Thanks. I'll be sure to check that stuff out. I think I'm going to let her drive my Lumina for a few days because it's raining and I don't really feel like climbing under her car to see what the deal is right away.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Weird Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Okay. I've been driving my girlfriend's PT Cruiser today because it was in the shop and she took my car. Has anyone else experienced the car pulling one way while accelerating and the opposite way when coasting? When I accelerate, the car pulls to the right. When I take my foot off the gas, it gives a pretty good tug to the left. Is this normal? I've mainly driven rear wheel drive vehicles in the past and have never experienced this with any of those. I'm currently driving a '95 Lumina and it does not do this either. I'm wondering if it's normal for this car to do this.
Check the lower motor mount this happened to me, gave me a quick pucker factor when I went to accelerate and it took off into the left lane. Took it to my mechanic and he went straight to the lower motor mount and showed me that the rubber around the connector had torn loose.

Check it out!

While its up on the rack check ALL THE BUSHINGS for wear, I had to replace just about EVERYTHING on mine both lower control arms, struts, stabilizer end bushing and frame mounts yada yada yada. When that was done, had to do the same thing to the rear, but no more issues.

Last edited by h100250; 18 Nov 2009 at 12:49 pm.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Damn. I think I'm going to talk her into selling this car within the next 15000 miles. There's a lot of stuff that's going to start getting pretty expensive on here at that point.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Damn. I think I'm going to talk her into selling this car within the next 15000 miles. There's a lot of stuff that's going to start getting pretty expensive on here at that point.
How many miles on it? You don't even know what (if anything) is wrong.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
What version of the PT do you have Turbo/NA and how many miles?

I bought mine used so there is no telling what kind of abuse it took prior to my ownership! I'm going somewhat overboard on my repairs since its my only vehicle @ the moment so don't let that list scare you away it can be done in time. Can it be expensive Oh yeah I'm past $3000.00 in repairs on mine but like I said I'm going a little overboard.

My mouth hit the floor when I spoke to the body shop guy that is going to re-do the entire exterior of the vehicle. Actually I should of sprung for a newer one but I got caught up in the moment with the extremely low price of it, I should of trusted my feelings and paid more and got the Turbo but it was twice the price which I just did not want to spend at the time.

Oh well I'm not really that sorry I have no monthly payments and the PT has been a fun car for me, I like how nimble it is in the city. Coming out of a truck its a night and day difference that I appreciate.