Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS AGAIN! 3rd time!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2009, 04:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS AGAIN! 3rd time!

Ok just took my 2003 PT in for an oil change & the Tech noted that both control arm bushings are worn & need replacing along with a loose RS wheel bearing (some play not excessive no noise) a tie rod end & contrl links all at 76k miles! I can live with the bearing,links,tie rod end but not Control arms! ( also an allignment when all is done)again ok... but my PT has had control arm allong with busings at 31k & 55k both time under warranty!First time under the 3-36 -- than again good will at 55k less than 2years later & now again in need less than 2years and at 76k miles! Is this possible.. what should I do..again thanks MJB
Old 18 Nov 2009, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS AGAIN! 3rd time!

POLYURETHANE.
You would have only replaced them once.
Booger Bushings.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Nov 2009, 05:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

where do you get them?? thanksMJB
Old 18 Nov 2009, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Energy Suspension 5.18108 HyperFlex Master Kit Chrysler PT Cruiser 01-05
Old 18 Nov 2009, 07:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
Ok just took my 2003 PT in for an oil change & the Tech noted that both control arm bushings are worn & need replacing along with a loose RS wheel bearing (some play not excessive no noise) a tie rod end & contrl links all at 76k miles! I can live with the bearing,links,tie rod end but not Control arms! ( also an allignment when all is done)again ok... but my PT has had control arm allong with busings at 31k & 55k both time under warranty!First time under the 3-36 -- than again good will at 55k less than 2years later & now again in need less than 2years and at 76k miles! Is this possible.. what should I do..again thanks MJB
Is the car displaying any symptoms? Bonking? Noise? Get a second opinion.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 09:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Matt42-thanks-that is what I plan on doing-seems hard to believe a 3rd time so soon-- I can understand a tie rod, wheel bearing after 76k miles but control arms again-( Im suspect) hey what can happen anyway - I quess alot of sqeeking huh? again thanks MJB (PS I just golfed at Greyhawk in SEPT(awesome))
Old 20 Nov 2009, 11:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

If both times were under warranty I'd call Chrysler.

Pete
Old 20 Nov 2009, 03:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

PETEPT: Yes- the 1st time under warranty-under the 3/36,2nd time good will less than 2years after 1st repair at 55k miles( I did contact Chrysler & they called me- they were very polite & I do have an appt at dealer Monday to evaluate it by Chrysler mechanic- they said to call with results--any suggestions? thankyou MJB
Old 20 Nov 2009, 07:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

As the economy continues not doing well, some car maintenance places are inventing work to be done to cars, even if the work is not needed. I bet if you'd had the prior bushing work done at the place doing the oil change, they would have that in the record and would have invented some other unnecessary work to try to sell you. (Golly, I do seem to have such a bad attitude today. I think I'll have a beer!)

A quickie oil change place near here has an under the counter filthy air round filter to show to women getting oil changes. They showed it to my boss's daughter who didn't fall for it. I wish they'd try to pull that on my wife, who would politely suggest that they do the whole job for free, air filter and transmission as well, in exchange for her not going to the County Attorney.

Let us know what the dealer says. Generally, a $14 oil change just barely covers parts and labor, so places use it as bait to sell you work that you might actually need.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 11:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS AGAIN! 3rd time!

I just purchased my 2003 PT Cruising Touring 5spd...had some rattling in front end, first seemed like left tire..then rattle was being felt through the floor boards! UGH! So, now I watch hard bumps...brought to local Gulf Station (Dorchester Ma) Anyone know a good mechanic in Dorchester Ma ??? Anyway, 2 mechanics drove the car..the second one said He was 100% sure it was the drivers side lower ball joint....

Now we noticed some very slight movement compared to no movement on the passenger side...BUT I wanted to see more movement or when the banged around the front suspension something more loose would show...I am bringing to another mechanic for a second opinion.....anyone out here have an opinion?
Thanks!
Mike