PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
More AC Problems with overheating 06 touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2009, 11:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to outfit Send a message via Skype™ to outfit
Question More AC Problems with overheating 06 touring

Okay here we go again.2006 Pt Touring non turbo. My AC stoped blowing cold air. My compressor doesnt even kick on and now to make matters worse the car is starting to overheat... There is power going to the compressor, and it is new.. Also what type of relays are the acc fan?? I know they are 12v 40 a, four prong, now will any type of relay do?? Lets just say the parts people around here are not to bright and the mechanics just want to run up the bill with out fixing the problem... Is there something I am missing with the compressor?? What about the wires that connect to the compressor in the back, High pressor sensor is new also along with the switch on the accumalitor.. I am beating myself in the head here. To recap, no cold air---- compressor wont kick on--- starting to overheat-----.. Any help would be nice... I am up for looking at anything here or trying
1 -Hyper White 921 Superstar Bulbs from Autolumination
1 -Hyper White T10 Wedge 194 (Lic Pllate) Super White LED from Autolumination

Pioneer Head unit W/ HD & Satellite radio

2 - 7inch DVD/Headrests Monitors... dvd players built in the headrests
HID Lights 8000k 9006 for lows from xhidoutlet....
HID Slim 55w 6000K for high's from HIDGEEK.

Old 19 Nov 2009, 06:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: More AC Problems with overheating 06 touring

outfit,

Overheating and no cold air have only one thing in common that I can think of ...the fan. If the fan isn't working properly things heat up to the point where the compressor might have blown out some of the R134 which causes the sensor to see that your low in pressure and stop the compressor from coming on.

I actually have an A/C problem myself that just started where it's not blowing as cold as it usually does and the compressor goes on and off every 15-20 seconds, BUT it's not overheating (fan IS working). I should be just a little low on the R134, will find out this morning.

Check to see if the fan is coming on in your PTwhen the A/C is turned on. Turn the car on in the morning when the fan won't come on, then turn the A/C ON. The fan should start turning. You can't hear it as it's only the low speed and it's hard to see.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 09:25 am
Regular Cruiser

On my 2006 (base PT) the high speed fan kicks on when the a/c is turned on or when engine cooling is needed as operating temp. increases. I can definitely my fan every time its on. It is a replacement cooling fan. Mine blew out at 36.5K... Just out of warranty. Cost me 200.00 including labor. My buddy only charged me 50.00 for labor. Its not a hard swap out that you can't do yourself. If you take your time maybe 3 hours or so. Similar to what CREWZN stated...sounds like your cooling fan stopped causing your compressor to maybe run hot or a fuse/relay to go bad. I don't think your compressor is bad.

Good Luck, 66CUDA
Old 03 Dec 2009, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the pt's have a two speed fan with two relays and four brushes, as happened to me the high speed brushes wore out and I only had one speed, the a/c has a temp sensor and works together with the two speed fan to keep the system cool, no high speed=irratic a/c. went through this with an 07 after recharging the system three times, dealer wanted like 450 bucks for this fan!!
Old 08 Dec 2009, 08:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Same thing on my 06 Touring. Had the fan and relays replaced at the dealer. Like new ever since.....
Old 23 Feb 2010, 07:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Question Re: More AC Problems with overheating 06 touring

Frankb, my car does not exhibit any of the overheating issues but I haven't had A/C in my '06 Base since last year, and I'm trying desperately to fix it before the Texas heat returns this summer. So replacing the fan and couple of relays fixed the problem? I know the OEM fan module is at least $300 - are they really better than the $100 aftermarket units you can buy online? If anyone could advise me on this, I would greatly appreciate it. When I activate the A/C button, the compressor does absolutely nothing.