Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruise Control Arm Broken

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruise Control Arm Broken

2001 Cruiser with 98,000+ miles. Runs great. Have had a couple of major issues, but all were eventually resolved. (Gotta love extended warranties)

HELP! It seems the cruise control arm has broken inside the column. Got out on the highway after work today, pressed the magic button, pushed the arm down to engage and...nothing but a flopping control arm.

Husband took a look, and we have question(s):

*Any tips on removing the steering wheel cover so he can take a look at what the problem is without screwing up the air bag and/or other stuff?

*Hubby can probably fix it, but we would like some general direction on how. He's worked on all our vehicles, but he's a little reluctant without some kind of diagram so he can see what he's getting into. Any suggestions?

*Is this a common problem? We live in the southwest, with summer temps consistently over 115 for weeks on end. Could heat have possibly weakened the arm at its base?

Really appreciate any advice. We bought it used three years ago because it was all we could afford at the time; and we (I) promptly fell in love with it. Unfortunately, I do a lot of highway driving and use the cruise A LOT!

Thanks in advance.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cruise Control Arm Broken

Welcome.
Getting to it is easy.
The "shroud" around the steering column has 2 phillips screws that go in from the bottom half, then the 2 halves snap apart.
You can then see the left and right "stalks". I don't know for sure about the cruise one, but the left one needs small torqx screwdiver to get off - buy a set at an auto parts store beforehand to save some cussing.....I got a set that is like a jacknife - it was cheap and worked fine.
Haven't read of anyone else with your particular problem - could be the switch itself.

Oh, and at 98,000 miles, I hope you are planning to have the timing belt replaced - it's better to plan for it than have it break and strand you.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles