Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error code 0340

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2009, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Error code 0340

hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I have my first Pt and have wanted one since they came out. It is Inferno Red , so pretty. I have had it three months. PROBLEMS since day 1. It is a 2002 has 100,000 miles on it. 2.4 l motor.
First needed new battery, ok got care lot to purchase. next needed 2 back tires. Then it overheated code said it was hi speed fan relay ok fixed that now, I was on my way to see grandmother in hospital car died going down toll road. Would not restart.
Previousley it had died the same way but always started right away. Now it's been a week and still wont start turns over Error code says 0340, changed senser , still wont start. It trys to turn over but no luck. Also yesterday it backfired one time.
Anyone have any ideas, hubby said he will check, coil, timing, spark plugs and wires and timing chain.
Thank you
Old 20 Nov 2009, 04:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Error code 0340

This is my first PT also. Really like it and mine is running great but some recurring posts here have me concerned about auto trans, sensors, electrical gremlins, exploding taillights, cheap bushings. Shame on Chrysler.

I've already read a number of posts that say 340 is the cam sensor but sometimes the crank sensor - and even some wiring connectors to the sensors - can be part of the problem (apparently the crank sensor connector is too close to the exhaust).

I'm sure others will point out the timing belt (and tensioner) needs to be changed at or before 100k, and once that far in to replace the water pump also. The fact that it backfired means if the belt is old it could have skipped a tooth on the cam sprocket and therefore your cam timing is off and won't start. That repair isn't cheap so hopefully hubby is able - but is a PITA to get too. Seems like you have to unbolt motor mounts and jack engine upwards in the engine bay to get to everything (on passenger side).

Good luck!

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 20 Nov 2009, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Callygirl, welcome to the forum. CharlieHorse just about covered it all especially the part about the timing belt maybe stretching and causing the backfire.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just wanted to say good luck - p0340 is where all my trouble started! Everything's been fine since I got her back from my mechanic but I am still paranoid to drive her now since she seemed fixed once before. I trust my mechanic, and he wasn't the one who 'fixed' her last time, but still... Best to you! <3
Old 21 Nov 2009, 07:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you everyone, husband checked it out and feels it's it's the timing , but hear it's very hard to change. A friend told us may have bent valves when it broke. Anyone know if that happens?
Old 21 Nov 2009, 07:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

This thread is right above yours - you may have read it already...

Interpret compression test results fixing timing belt

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 22 Nov 2009, 10:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Have your hubby peek through a rubber port on the timing chain cover while you crank the motor. Tell him you can see the cam pulley and belt through that port. If it ain't turning - it's broken.

As for the job itself - I'm a DIY guy, and I took it in. You need to take most of the passenger side of the engine compartment apart, suspension parts, steering bits, etc, the manual states you should discharge and disassemble most of the A/C system. Thats what caused me to take my wifes in when hers went. She had 3 bent valves and a funky seat on cylinders 1&2, while 3 and 4 were fine. Cylinder head had to come off and go to the shop and we got all new valves/seats/flycut, xrayed, new head gasket, lifters etc. It was pricy at about $1200 total, but I hear we got a steal compared to what other folks have paid. I'm very happy that she essentially got a top-end rebuild though. 100,000 miles - usually between 90-100k is when the timing belt breaks, so you are right on schedule.

The car is "non-interference" in that the pistons don't hit the valves (which would completely destroy the motor beyond repair), but the valves ***might*** hit each other (which causes damage, but not unfixable damage). If that happened, the head needs to come off and go to the shop and new valves/seats go in. Once the timing chain is back on you do a compression test to see. Alternately you can move each piston and use compressed air to check.

If your husband is comfortable with and has equipment for the A/C, and a full complement of tools, a ton of patience, and at least a weekend uninterrupted, and has a way to keep the car up and stable without the tranny (i.e. on jackstands or a lift) then he should be able to handle it. I would under no circumstances rely on him finishing it that weekend though - you never know when you take that much stuff off and apart.

BTW - you should do the timing chain, tensioner, and water pump all at once. (they are all in the same area).

Last edited by bobdole369; 22 Nov 2009 at 10:34 am.