Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PTGirl2001

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2009, 01:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Cable Assembly... Whats the Deal

All,
Thanks all for the great comments. After a night of sleepless thinking here is how I fixed the problem:

1: My stock cables weren't corroded or warn out, just my connectors. So I returned the generics that I purchased yesterday and bought two brand new connectors, the absorbent felt pads and the Petroleum Jelly used to protect the cables. The total was literally LESS the $10!

There are FOUR spots you need to disconnect to get your stock cable assembly out. For the Positive it is the the Starter and the Positive Jump Bolt (which is also connected to all of your fuses.) Just follow your positive battery cable up in to the back of it. for the Negative the Car Frame and a spot slightly under the starter. Its a total of Five Bolts (the Jumper Bolt has two). You may also have to cut away some tape at a couple of places the assembly is secured to the car. No big deal.

Getting to them is the tricky part
First DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY! To do this pop off the air filter cover and gently push aside. Now loosen the connectors. Like I said my connectors were bad so I barely touched the positive one and it fell apart (No wonder my battery wasnt charging or starting my PT!!!)

Pull out the Air Filter and the Box it is in. The box has two Rubber pegs that hold it in place. The box lifts out with a small bit of force. Pull straight up. Be aware: there is a Elbow Shaped PVC Hose coming out of your right side. Its not attached to anything but will bump the frame when you pull out the box. Be gentle so you don't bust it.

There is a bolt holding your battery in place at the front center of the base. Loosen it enough to get the battery out. Lift the Battery out. There are 6 bolts holding the base down, I think. Loosen them and remove the battery base.

Now you can get to all Four spots!

I Took the battery cables off in the dark with a girl friend holding a flashlight. I then went into my kitchen cut the wires and attached the new connectors. Then put everything back put everything back. This took maybe an hour.

I am not a mechanic. I didn't even know I had a place to jump start my car without moving the air filter the first time I needed a jump. When I changed my battery I followed step by step instructions off some eHow website. Ten Bucks and maybe a day (if you count how long my PT was out of commission)? I will take that over ninety dollars anyday

QUICKSLIVERDON - I think the problem I was having was that the battery HAS to be hooked up to the Jumper Bolt because it is also attached to the fuses there. What hit me was that even if you turn your inside lights completely off, when you open the door your mileage shows on the dash. That is what makes me think that you have to be attached up there.

Thanks EVERYONE!
buddyiramae likes this.
Closed Thread