Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant System Drain Plug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2009, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant System Drain Plug

I'm attempting to flush the cooling system on my 06 PT for the first time. I've done this before on other cars, so please know I'm familiar with how a flush is performed. My specific question is about how to remove the drain plug. I located the plug on the bottom left of the radiator. However, when you turn it by hand, it turns exactly one-quarter of a turn and then stops, but nothing drains out. I hesitate to use pliers to turn it further for fear of breaking something. Can somebody tell me if this "sticking" is normal and if I should force it to turn further until it starts to drain?
Old 22 Nov 2009, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant System Drain Plug

See if you can download this and go to page 290. It's for a 2003 and hopefully they didn't change anything .

http://webdev1.net/hosted/documents/...shopmanual.pdf
Old 30 Aug 2015, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here is a photo of the Drain Plug (aka drain cock). As it is unscrewed, it moves out and the o-ring moves past the drain hole, which releases the coolent. I had the same experience with the drain cock only turning 1/4 turn and no coolent coming out. With A LOT of wiggling, I was able to remove the drain cock, but the o-ring was nicked in the process. I bought a Dorman brand replacement (part no. 61134) and applied a little silicone grease to the o-ring (per another forum member's suggestion). With the new part in place it easily turned more than a 1/2 turn to open and worked like it should.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0682.jpg (18.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 30 Aug 2015, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PTsedan, welcome to the forum.

If you look at the upper left hand corner of each post you will notice the date that it was put on the forum. You have answered a post that is 6 years old and has been answered a few times in other post throughout the forum.
Old 30 Aug 2015, 01:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsedan View Post
Here is a photo of the Drain Plug (aka drain cock). As it is unscrewed, it moves out and the o-ring moves past the drain hole, which releases the coolent. I had the same experience with the drain cock only turning 1/4 turn and no coolent coming out. With A LOT of wiggling, I was able to remove the drain cock, but the o-ring was nicked in the process. I bought a Dorman brand replacement (part no. 61134) and applied a little silicone grease to the o-ring (per another forum member's suggestion). With the new part in place it easily turned more than a 1/2 turn to open and worked like it should.
This is why its always a good idea to first get a new drain plug before attempting to use the drain plug to drain the coolant. Its hard to find the replacement drain plug if the dealer is not open on the day you are working on it.
Old 30 Aug 2015, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin:
Glad to be a member. This forum has been as a great resource for me a number of times. Yes, I saw this question posted more than once when I first ran into the problem, but the answers seemed to be incomplete or applicable to other cars. Since this particular old post was short I thought I'd tag on to it with a photo with a short description so others could better visualize how the drain cock operated.
Old 30 Aug 2015, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad you decided to join the forum. Pointing the date of the post out because a lot of times, when someone answers such an old post, the original person asking the question, plus others that may have added something later, are no longer on the forum. Happen quite a bit, people come here to ask a question, get an answer and vanish, until maybe the next time they run into a problem.