Advertisements
Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2009, 11:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Hi all savvy PT'erz!

I had to replace our Oil pressure sending unit/switch this weekend because it was causing an oil leak. I just wanted to give everyone some tips.... It is very hard to try to reach the sensor from under the car. What we did was we removed the battery, air box, we also moved the fuse box aside just a bit to get more room to work (not necessary though). After removing/moving those parts we had plenty of room to work with. Simply disconnect the electric connection and remove the sensor with a socket. The part was $11.99 at Kragen with a lifetime warranty! (not just a dealer only item :]) The socket isnt a special socket its just a 27mm ($9.99) deepwell. I hope this helps someone, overall the job wasnt hard so no need to pay anyone to do it for you! :]
Old 23 Nov 2009, 07:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Is there a difference if it is a turbo?
Old 24 Nov 2009, 12:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im not sure, I should have mentioned ours is a N/A PT. Ill see what i can dig up.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 07:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just did mine last week on my base PT. If your arms are long enough, you can access it top passenger side and reach wayyyy down and you won't have to remove anything! Its good to put her up on ramps to get and idea where it is, then take her off and do the repair. You forgot to mention unlocking the electrical connection by pushing the slide lock to the side. Just curious, what year and mileage on your PT?

66CUDA
Old 25 Nov 2009, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi all savvy PT'erz!

I had to replace our Oil pressure sending unit/switch this weekend because it was causing an oil leak. I just wanted to give everyone some tips.... It is very hard to try to reach the sensor from under the car. What we did was we removed the battery, air box, we also moved the fuse box aside just a bit to get more room to work (not necessary though). After removing/moving those parts we had plenty of room to work with. Simply disconnect the electric connection and remove the sensor with a socket. The part was $11.99 at Kragen with a lifetime warranty! (not just a dealer only item :]) The socket isnt a special socket its just a 27mm ($9.99) deepwell. I hope this helps someone, overall the job wasnt hard so no need to pay anyone to do it for you! :]

Our PT is a 2004, 140K miles
Old 10 Dec 2009, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Greetings to all.

Just found this forum after searching for PT Cruiser oil sender leak.
My wife's 2007 is leaking from the sending unit.
39,000 miles, just out of warranty. grrrrrrrrrr

Anyway, thanks for the great information.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does anyone have a picture of what this is supposed to look like, i've had a problem with this damn leak for a while now. first they thought it was the corner of the pan, then they said it was a pinched seal on the oil filter, now they are at the point where they believe it is higher up, some type of oil pressure switch. I'm assuming that this is what is being discussed on this forum. just want to make sure before i start taking things apart.

Thanks,

Anthony
Old 28 Oct 2011, 01:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalomo01 View Post
Does anyone have a picture of what this is supposed to look like....just want to make sure before i start taking things apart.

Thanks,

Anthony
Oil Pressure Sending Unit Wire

Take note that it Should take a 27mm socket to get it off but mine ('03 GT) took a 26mm, and a 27mm for the replacement.

It should take you no more than about 5 minutes to replace it... and the part is less than about $15

Update: The 27mm was too big, 26mm too small, 1 1/16th inch perfect fit!
White '03 GT. Mine since 2010. DIY work (read, budget): DIY cabin air filter, ball joint/control arm bushings/wheel bearing replacement, CV axle replacement, brakes, struts, K&N drop-in filter, oil pressure sensor replacement, Spark plug gasket replacement.

"But I don't want to go among mad people! Alice remarked. Oh you can't help that, said the cat, We're all mad here. You're mad, I'm mad. How do you know I'm mad? asked Alice. You have to be, or you wouldn't have come here, replied the cat."

Last edited by Gremlin; 20 Jul 2012 at 09:50 am. Reason: Updated size
Old 05 Jun 2012, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Turns out the real problem is the Cam Seals have gone bad, i can see oil on the teeth of the timing belt when i look through the cover. Can Anyone tell me the difficulty level on replacing these seals?
Old 05 Jun 2012, 05:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalomo01 View Post
Turns out the real problem is the Cam Seals have gone bad, i can see oil on the teeth of the timing belt when i look through the cover. Can Anyone tell me the difficulty level on replacing these seals?
not sure, but when i took mine in for the timing belt, water pump, etc they called and asked if i wanted the cam seals replaced as well for an additional $14.

hopefully you won't have to go with the whole tb procedure just for that.