Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hard Time Starting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2009, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Hard Time Starting

IF the car is left for a few hours after running , it will start up but not on first try, it will start up on second try. But if i am driving to the store and i leave it for 15 minutes it will not start, it cranks but does not start. I crank it and crank it and it does not catch, all lights are working, i hear the fuel pump and wait 5 seconds before i start it. It has become such a hassle that i just want to give my car up . Any help !!!! The following has been changed out but with no luck spark plugs, wires, PCM, oygen sensor before converter , cleaned the MAP sensor. I am at a total lost, no codes......
Old 23 Nov 2009, 04:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Hard Time Starting

Well in the day before codes, one would check fuel delivery and spark - and/or the coordination of those two.
Is the fuel pump getting weak or a fuel filter clogging? Maybe there's enough fuel to restart after running because there was some pressure in the lines but from cold start there's not enough fuel?? (Although OR now requires 10% ethanol all the time, at my higher altitude they've been adding it to winter fuels since the 90's due to inversion layer/pollution. This would cause several problems at the changeover because the ethanol is kind of a solvent and the junk in the gas tank would plug the fuel filter. Once changed out cars would run fine on the stuff.)
Any chance the plug wires aren't well connected to the plugs and/or coil? Could the coil be going out? Just not quite enough spark to ignite when cold...?
Could it be the system that enriches the fuel on start-up isn't working? (i.e. the 'choke' function on old carbs)
Could it be dirty injectors? (tried any additives in the fuel to clean?)
Was the MAP re-installed correctly?
Using a new gas station lately? (bad gas?)
Could it be battery cable related? Some have had other problems when the battery is getting weak, dirty battery clamps, and/or ground wire not making good contact anymore...
Seems like if timing belt had slipped a tooth, you'd get a rough engine if it would run at all (and a cam sensor code).
What about a vacuum leak?

Once its started how does it run? Still peppy? Still pushes firmly to redline? Does it sound right when under acceleration?

Just thinking out loud on engine basics as I haven't had my Cruiser long enough... maybe the PT experts will have a good answer. Good luck!

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901

Last edited by cdynaco; 23 Nov 2009 at 04:14 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hard Time Starting

You aren't touching the gas pedal, are you? Just turn the key, foot off pedal.
Is it weather related at all? I mean, is it better/worse in cold or heat ot rain?
Looking for clues....
Was problem there before changing plugs/wires?
What were plugs gapped at?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles