PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door Handles

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Door Handles

1st; I can't be the only one who has the chrome peeling off the door handles.
This has been getting worse since I bought the Car.
2nd; The handles seem to be chromed plastic, some kind of chrome tape.
3rd Where do I find replacement handles?
and 4th a story.
I was watching Street Custom Berlin a few weeks ago and they were doing van that they used chrome paint on it {Chrome stripe 4inch wide center of the van the length of the van} at first it didn't work because in the curing process
the final application was to spray the stripe with pure water. It didn't work because they hadn't used clean water...
Did anybody see this show ?
Does anybody know where to buy this paint?
Old 25 Nov 2009, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Door Handles

Parting out my o1 pt cruiser

Parting a 2001 PT Touring

parting out a 2005 pt cruiser 17k miles

I think I've seen one other post about handles peeling....- not common.

I saw something on that chrome paint - it was VERY expensive... search the internet - you'll find it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Nov 2009, 08:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm on my 3rd PT and have never had this problem. I also have been working on them since the PT's came out and have not seen this issue.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 02:41 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Door Handles

Hey tbtk1,

Welcome to the Forum,

Yes, you are correct in that the door handles are actually a hardened polycarbonate plastic dipped in a thin layer of chrome. This is now actually the third case I have heard of which this occurred.

The paint that you saw on Street Customs Berlin was an imported paint from a place called The Alsa Corporation which makes one of the best, and most convincing Chrome Paints in the world. As the story goes, the paint was actually first developed for the Movie Industry for use specifically on the second "XXX" State of the Union Movie in which they had a large number of Custom Pontiac GTO's for various stunts throughout the Movie, and needed a bunch of plastic reproduction parts that were disposable, but looked like real bumpers, grilles, and so forth. The end result was their Chrome FX Paint.

The Chrome FX Paint comes as both a spray paint, and a regular Automotive type paint, though as usual, I would highly recommend shying away from the spray paint applications, and advise on having something like your application done using the Automotive Paint, and having them shot at a professional Body Shop if you should decide to go this route. Here is a Link to the Also Corp. Chrome Paint to see it, and what it looks like during, and after application.

Alsa Corp | ChromeFX: Product Information-Our Chrome FX can produce a real METALLIC FINISH on any surface

Chrysler does have a 7 year / 70,000 mile warranty on paint and body if applicable which may potentially fix your problem if your PT fits the criteria.

If your PT is older, or does not meet the criteria for warranty, the cheaper solution to your specific problem might be to try to locate a wrecked PT in a salvage yard and pull them off that as an alternative unless you are wanting to go with a more custom look, or might be interested in maybe painting multiple items to offset some of the extra cost of the materials. for example if you might want to maybe paint your door handles, and mirrors the same to match, or so on. One really cool feature to the Alsa Chrome Paint is that you can add a tint to the clear which kinda gives it a cool anodized look to it which might look really cool depending on the color of your PT.

Anyways, that is my best advise on it. I wish you the very best of luck, and if you need any help in taking the handles off, putting new ones on, and so forth, or have any more questions, please feel free to ask me anytime.

Go easy,

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 26 Nov 2009, 09:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have the problem on two of mine. On the 2001, it's on the driver's handle and annoying. I have a replacement handle but haven't replaced it yet. I cut off the sharp parts by scoring it ahead of the tear with a utility knife then breaking it off evenly. Then I dabbed on some JB Quick Weld as a patch. Looks funky but works. On the 2004, it hasn't peeled yet but is bubbling.

Some genius invented a way to chromium-plate plastic in the 1950s. People couldn't decide if he should be sainted or condemned. The problem isn't with the concept, which is good. It's with the workmanship. Plating steel with chrome wasn't new in the 1950s. Actually, chromium won't plate well to steel but chrome will plate really well to copper. And copper will plate really well to steel. So chrome plating steel like bumpers and wheels is really a two or three step process. (It's pretty similar for aluminum.) Polish the steel, plate it with copper, then plate that with chromium. Frequently, a layer of nickel is plated on between the copper and the chromium. (It is waaay more involved than I make it seem, especially for good quality work.)

The trick with plastic was to get a coating of copper onto the plastic so it could be plated with chromium. (Disclaimer: I am not a metallurgical engineer, nor do I play one on TV.) What the genius ended up inventing was a way of coating the plastic with thin sliver, or copper or whatever so it can be electroplated. When the stuff peels off, it's usually the layer that should be adhering to the plastic.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Candyman thank you for the great information. The link is bookmarked for the paint, sure has my interest.

Matt thank you it's good to know I wasn't the only one with this problem.

Frank I'm looking forward to getting those door handles...

Have a Great week-end Rondy
Old 28 Nov 2009, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My two door handles on my 2001 are both peeling pretty bad, but the two on the passenger side are like brand new with no issues......go figure!
Old 13 Apr 2012, 08:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Whats up everyone....Had a question about painting my door handles on my 01 pt. Has anyone ever attempted such an event and if so how did they go about doing so with good results. I am painting mine a satin black and want to do the handles but i am very apprehensive about doing it. does primer stick to the chrome? should i sand the chrome...what grit would be best? do they sell regular non chrome handles? if so i haven't found them. but any help or ideas on this matter would help out tremendously.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 08:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I've seen some guys getting them wrapped with vinyl....I was thinking of painting mine too and I was thinking of using Duplicolor Trim Paint in satin black and Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter. I used it on my wife's bumpers and after more than a year is still good as the day I painted them...
I'm thinking about sanding them to help the paint stick..

Dupli-Color :: Adhesion Promoter

Dupli-Color :: Trim Paint
Old 13 Apr 2012, 09:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Or maybe use Wheel Coating

Dupli-Color :: Wheel Coating