Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
idler or tensioner pulley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default idler or tensioner pulley

My 02 has a squealiny noise on startup. After running for awhile it goes away. I have listened to the alternator through a hose to my ear and it's not coming from there, it sounds lower. I never heard this noise until they changed my water pump. Autozone checked the alternator and said it tested good but showed 1 bad diode. Please help if you can. I don't want to pay someone to fix the wrong thing. Thanks to all.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 10:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: idler or tensioner pulley

If your water pump was changed, you should have gotten a new timing belt.
Did they change other belts at the same time? Sounds like no - squeal is usually a loose or worn belt.
Rubber is one of the few things that shink when heated, so squeal is at startup, when belt warms up it tightens & no squeal....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Nov 2009, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

The timing belt was changed in July and the water pump in October. I never had the noise until they changed the water pump. they only other work that has been done is replacing the torque struts, top and bottom. Could it be a loose belt and if so, is that something I can easily fix. Also, I really don't want to buy a $200.00 alternator and pay to have it replaced if I don't have to at this time. Any ideas or thoughts on the bad diode and what the life expectancy of the alternator is. I know they have 3 diodes.
Thanks fo all your help.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I think you need to find someplace else to work on your car.
Water pump should be replaced when timing belt is done - you paid for labor twice.
When timing belt is done is good opportunity to replace other belts - did they ask you?
Go to sompleace like Sears - they test charging system for free - get a second opinion.