Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
oil filter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2009, 08:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default oil filter

Did an oil change on the PT today (to take advantage of our nice November weather...won't last forever) and just for kicks opened up the old oil filter to check and see if the engine is making metal or for anything else nasty. Been using NAPA #21348 ProSelect. All was OK inside the filter and was rather impressed with its construction for a bargain ($3.29) filter...steel end caps with a nice coil spring holding everything in place...the anti-drainback rubber skirt did its job, the filter was still full of oil...the pleated filter media seemed kind of minimal though. The bypass valve coil spring would fully collapse with 10 lbs of weight applied, while this spring is more stout than those found in some other brands, it does make me wonder how much oil the filter is actually filtering and how much it is bypassing. Anybody got any ideas or experience with this? And, yes, you're right...too much time on my hands...only working part-time...lousy Michigan economy.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 10:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: oil filter

Do a search and you'll find an oil filter study done a few years back where a fellow did what you did and cut open oil filters - a lot of them - there was quite a variation in construction.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Nov 2009, 12:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks Don...did a search for "oil filter study" and it came right up. The guy did quite a job. Interestingly enough, even the engineers couldn't quote a number for pressure relief valve opening. Maybe they didn't want to...the relief valve spring is pretty limp in some brands...could be more bypassing than filtering going on.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Back when I had a Toyota Tacoma, I did some autopsy work on 3614 and 3600 filters to convince myself they were the same. ( Toyota would only tell you to use the puny 3614 filter and the Fram engineer confirmed but would not go on record telling me that they were identical other than capacity.) For the record, the 3600 averaged almost 180% more filtering surface than the 3614 and the bypass springs identical.
oF the several different brands I cut up, I seemed to remember Bosh had the best bang for the buck but forget the details.

I plan to use the 3600 Bosh equivelent on this 04 touring /non-turbo as well.